Sky Atmosphere - Distant volumetric light shafts seem to break when "r.SkyAtmosphere.AerialPerspectiveLUT.Width" is increased

In 4.26 I was able to get high quality volumetric light shafts coming through the distant clouds with the current set up that I have. Now since upgrading to 5.0.3 that functionality seems broken.

I was using the command - r.SkyAtmosphere.AerialPerspectiveLUT.Width - to increase the quality. The default for that is 32 and renders quite blocky but is still somewhat visible. Any number above or below that now becomes quite broken. In 4.26 I had it up to 64 where I was starting to see reasonable results. Now in 5.0.3. it seems to just break.

r.SkyAtmosphere.FastSkyLUT and r.SkyAtmosphere.AerialPerspectiveLUT.FastApplyOnOpaque
are disabled to get higher quality as well.

What am I missing?

This is rendering with r.SkyAtmosphere.AerialPerspectiveLUT.Width 32

This is with r.SkyAtmosphere.AerialPerspectiveLUT.Width 64

Seems like a bug, you should consider reporting it

Hello,

I just found that topic and have been able to reproduce. I have now just fixed that bug in 5.1. Sorry for the trouble.

In the meantime, I believe you can put the r.SkyAtmosphere.AerialPerspectiveLUT.Width=64 cvar in your cfg file and it should correctly be picked up at launch. Alternatively, you can also use r.VolumetricCloud.HighQualityAerialPerspective=1 (that is the highest quality on cloud that should match the highquality sky you have when not using the fast path).

Thanks for reporting!

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help Seb. I will give this a shot!