Skeletal Mesh not applying any material correctly (looks unlit and not reflection) - Using UE5/Lumen , 4-20

how it looks in Blender

The Uv Map in Blender

Then i exported the skeletal mesh in unreal engine the material color is not correct.

That’s the Material

So i am not entirely sure why this is happening. The UvMap is there, the normals are good and the material is clear working. But the mesh itself is not displaying material correctly. I spent 6 hours trying to figure this out and i have no idea… Any help would be nice !

One thing i notice is that the material is being apply to that mesh, but the color is weird. If i add like a red there, that is the result

1 Like

found the answer.
In UE5, go to the skeletal mesh editor and open the “Asset Detail Window”. If you cannot find it click on Window tab and your should see the asset detail there. After that, go to “import setting” in the asset detail window and go to “Normal Import method” and make it “Import Normals”.

After that, Reimport base Mesh button. hope that helps someone :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had somewhat similar situation with my skeletal mesh in 5.3. I had a properly functioning static mesh asset but after making it a skeletal mesh the materials were not applying correctly (like rings with solid greenish color on your third screenshot).

I tried changing normal import method but it didn’t help, then I figured that my specific problem was mesh related: when I was preparing a mesh in Blender I made a join operation (Ctrl+J) and it absolutely screwed all the materials and the way they respect UVs. So in my case it was a prep mistake, I used parenting to attach my mesh to a null instead of joining and after that materials applied correctly.