Skeletal mesh line trace and particles spawning

Hey Guys i’m trying to create Some Mining action, when i click or mouse over my skeletal mesh GoldMine, i want to spawn particles where the hit points happens and spawn a particules in the direction of the line trace, to mimic the mining action.
But here is my problems, First the line trace is going Throught my Skeletal mesh even with my physics actor created and even with per poly collision.

Then i want to spawn my particles in the direction of the ray trace, so what i did was to take the hit normal and use it as the particles spawner rotator, but it seems to not work.

Your help is greetly apreciated

Thomas

Is the collision response of your object for camera trace set to block? Otherwise the intended behavior is to ignore it.

You might wanna tick “Trace Complex”. The default (“simple”) trace will trace against the physics collision (if you go in the mesh editor and tick collision you can see that). Since you want something accurate tracing complex (aka against your objects exact model) might be the better solution.

And last but not least keep in mind that rotating the particle system to the hit normal will rotate it to the normal below the hit (so straight away from the object). You might need to invert this to make your particle system appear correctly (depending on how it’s set up) or use the inverted (or not inverted), normalized trace locations to have it relative to your camera location.

Haha. Completely missed that you were doing it from the mine itself.

Glad you figured it out though!

Could you answer your own question and accept it as answer? Just so others know your problem is solved :slight_smile:

Thanks man for all these informations, it was not a problem of blocking trace but the fact that the booleans “ignore self” was check in. Fixed my problems.
Thanks a lot !

Thanks Erasio, fixed by unchecking the ignore self booleans on the line trace node.