Skeletal Mesh Hit Events

Hey everyone,

I’m running into some stumbling blocks while I’m setting up skeletal mesh → skeletal mesh attachments in my little octopus game.

It doesn’t look like Hit Events give me access to which bone I hit on the Other Component. I see that there is a line trace utility, but it only returns the hit location and the hit normal in blueprint. It sounds like it might return the bone name as well in C++? Not too sure.

Anyone have any better solutions for getting the bone name for what I hit? I tried passing it through the object’s own Hit Event, but that meant that the two events never lined up and so the hit locations were never in the same spot.

Hi Brian,

The bone name has been exposed to blueprints in the latest on github. If you’re compiling from source you can grab the change as it’s self contained (and only a few lines difference)

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/8673977f4f77d071f99dae5f42c4d62096bea4bd

Wow really? That’s awesome! I’ll work on getting it compiled from source today and see if it works out for me. Thanks Ori!

Hm. I’m running into a bit of trouble with the github page. The link you gave me 404s, and if I find the root EpicGames Github user, it says “This organization has no public repositories.”

Any idea what’s going on there?

Sorry, my mistake. I had the wrong github account linked in my Unreal Engine account details. Getting it working now! Thanks for the help

This was added to the blueprint version of line trace in 4.4.3 hooray!