SideFX's Houdini UE4 Plugin w/ the SideFX Team- Jan 12th - Live from Epic HQ!

When you get a recent daily build of Houdini, it should install a working plug-in compatible with 4.14.X

Looking forward to it, specially if it will help step up a notch cinematic creation, “beautify” them and ease post processing steps. Oh gosh, my humble “Don Nadie” self is thrilled to know more. Keeping an eye on that countdown, while scrubbing assets in my project’s folders.

Let’s see what’s the fuss about. Who knows, maybe I will switch :wink:

Did I miss it or something?

Wow, looks like I missed it by less than a minute?

Houdini is a very procedural 3D design tool, with nodal approach to editing. True, Maya and save an object’s editing history, but comparing the nodal workflow in Houdini with Maya/is like comparing a nodal compositing program (Nuke, Digital Fusion, Natron) with a single-channel layered compositor like After Effects. …and to be clear, sometimes what you need is quick/simple like After Effects, sometimes you need the flexibility to create a big nodal comp. I work in Maya almost daily, so please don’t take this as my bashing any tool.

The workflow takes some getting used to, but is ridiculously powerful. Some things you’d expect to be terribly difficult become really easy, but some (even trivial) aspects you might not have thought of early enough in the design process could (when I worked in Houdini 8 years ago) take some real work to change. While I worked on Terminator 4: Salvation, (learning Houdini, and I want to point out that this was 8 years ago) I asked my sup about changing the wireframe color of the rig so I could better see the film plates to match-move against them. He said that the color data was actually embedded pretty deeply in the character design, and it would take a lot of re-design to be able to change that. (would have been trivially easy in Maya where I could just change a layer color) However, he also created some animation tools using Houdini that were much more mind-melting than I can quickly describe. Others at this FX house were doing particle work for commercials that was simply amazing… like intelligent meta-material particles… tough to describe.

Again, my experience was with a version from 8 years ago, and I’m sure that now this would be a non-issue. My point is that its a much more algorithmic process, and can be much more organic (grow your own city?) than poly-pushing in a lot of other tools. I hope to purchase a license of their full-blast package eventually. (note that I said “purchase a license” and not “rent access for a year” :stuck_out_tongue: SideFX still sells perpetual licenses. )

can we access to this session in youtube or something please ?

i usually downlad these videos to watch them later, and atm i didn’t find a way to do it from twitch

When it shows up on YouTube, it will be right here: /videos

ah ok ,

do u have an idea on when it would be available on youtube ?

Doesn’t seem to hit YouTube very consistently. I’ve seen it as fast as next-day and as slow as over a week.

ok thanks .

Available in Twitch Video history:

Available on YouTube => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

thanks guys :slight_smile:

How do you stop unreal from culling a static mesh with texture driven vertex animations? As far as I understand it unreal culls a mesh as soon as the original mesh bounds aren’t intersecting with the view frustum any more.

You can manually enlarge the bounds of the component to prevent culling. Details are here:

Houdini 16 premiere is today! Read more about it here.