Sick and tired of UE4 having its own mind - suddenly broken lightmaps

Thanks! :o

Sorry, not quite sure what you mean :confused:

So, I am in the same pickle again :mad:

Just as I had everything working again in a clean project, I decided to test foliage with static lighting. Why not, right?

Here it comes:

ue4_broken_lighting2.png
Full: https://s31.postimg.org/spkvhit2x/ue4_broken_lighting2.png

Something is utterly broken with UE 4.12.5, Lightmass and foliage/HISMCs.

Btw, this is what it looked like before:

ue4_broken_lighting2_good.png
Full: https://s32.postimg.org/g5emro9pv/ue4_broken_lighting2_good.png

Hey Motorsep,

Would you be willing to share the project? I can have a look and see if I notice anything that doesnt make sense.

Please include any steps you previously used to reproduce the issue or anything you can remember that lead to it being wrong.

Tim

Since it’s the actual project for Oculus Store I am working on (can’t share it publicly), I can share link in PM. Would that be ok ?

I didn’t no save the project after building lighting and seeing it’s all broken. I took screenshots and quit without saving. Then reloaded engine/project and didn’t mess with foliage again. Do you need me to clone it, break lighting and upload both broken and non-broken projects ?

Also, the project is quite heavy.

PM works fine. Typically I don’t like accepting projects unless it’s a repro project, but I think with this one you’ve not been able to reproduce otherwise, correct? If you have a sample, that’s always better, but I can still take a look if you don’t.

Let’s just say the broken one for the moment, if it’s continually breaking I can see if I can figure out why and get it to stop.

When you zip up the project go to File > Package > Zip Up Project. This will grab the needed folders ignorning the intermediate, saved and config folders I believe. This should help keep some of the size down without the backups. Also cloning the project and removing any content not needed always works too.

[MENTION=4894]Tim Hobson[/MENTION]

I created a new project, migrated levels from my core project there, built lighting, added foliage rocks (same way I did in my core project), rebuilt lighting and … no issues :confused: I see that in the new project doesn’t have option to use normal maps for static lighting checked, so I’ve yet to rebuild lighting with that option turned on…

Well, it’s a boy! That option did break lightmaps :frowning:

Sending you PM with download link.

Small update - tried it with HISMCs and got the same issue.

Hello blotchy world,

I too, am having issues with my (all statically lit) project. I am reticent to migrate as my persistent level has multiple man hours of work in the streaming level volumes.

The project last lit successfully in UE 4.11.2 about 6 weeks ago, whereupon I packed up and moved my family to another state (read: I didn’t use UE for awhile). Now, after copying the project (through UE4.12.5 prompt, not windows) I attempt to re-build the lighting. I get what i am guessing are 64x64 lightmaps. As well, textures don’t want to stream in at higher resolutions in game, in editor, or in the static or material editors.

Please help!

Can confirm this bug too.

How about this. Let’s move this over to Answehub in the Bug Reports section please. Someone here post the question, known steps they have to reproduce and any additional information needed. This is much easier to track and follow up with than the forums.

Once this has been posted please post the link back here. Also in the AnswerHub post include this link to the forums and that I had requested it be moved there. This will insure I get assigned and can follow up there.

Thank you!

Done: Broken lightmaps when building static lighting with foliage/HISMCs and normal maps - World Creation - Epic Developer Community Forums

Thanks! I’ll follow up there from this point forward.

Anyone else having the issue as well please post on the AnswerHub linked here!

Thank you!

@Umberto @Neur0t1c

Please come and upvote it on AnswerHub :slight_smile:

Btw, I am surprised to see that not too many people report this issue. I know most folks use unlit materials for mobile VR, but even desktop VR needs baked lighting. So either people use baked lighting only for indirect lighting and real-time lighting for direct light (which brings up normal maps), or they use real-time lighting for everything and thus never experience this issue we have.

Do you happen to know how to purge that broken lightmap data ? (forcing no static lighting and rebuilding removes lightmaps, but when I rebuild lightmaps again, I get same artifacts, even if I remove HISMCs and foliage from my scene/level)

Rebuilding lighting will do this.

The only command I’m aware of is PurgeOldLightmaps which is already defaulted to 1 to dump after a rebuild.

That doesn’t work unfortunately. Once lightmaps are broken, that’s it :frowning:

P.S. As I mentioned on the AsnwerHub, it has to do with material setup (which wasn’t the issue in 4.11.2) and even when I change material setup, there is still another issue pops up.

Not to be pushy, but any chance you had time to look into this issue ?

Thanks

P.S. Added a new comment to AnswerHub

Only briefly and mostly what I’m seeing is content issues with the way the UVs are setup for the ground mesh, but I’ve not had time to check your other possible issues to confirm is something has caused an issue because of those specifically.

The other users have not responded, so at the moment I cannot confirm this is not just content issues with your project until I test the other parts you mentioned. It just takes a bit of time to setup, correct content to make sure that’s not an issue, and retest. Since the others in this post have no contributed anything else I don’t have anything other than your content and suggestions to work with. Thank you for your patience!

Anything particular I should know about UV issue at this point ? (I am not really sure what kind of issue UVs would have, since it’s just a conventional UV mapping with 3 UV channels, one for normal map, one for diffuse and one for lightmaps)

I can post privately on your AH post so only you can moderators can see or I can post here. I don’t want to post screenshots of your project and UV setups or anything publicly without your permission.