Showing Revit text data when a object is touched in VR

Hi all,
I’m importing a 3d model from Autodesk Revit. Revit models have a lot of information that can be seen clicking on a object (i.e. a wall).
Importing in UE all this data are lost.
I’m looking for a way (maybe using blueprints) to:
—import a list of data (i.e. the name/material) from excel/csv
—connect the row/columns which contains to elements data to the elements in UE
—when I touch a wall (note that I’m playing in VR), a kind of small info screen (see attachment) should appear on the wall
—in the small info screen there should be 2 rows reporting the text in the excel/csv file
Is there anything similar you could suggest me ?
Is it a feasable procedure ?
Thank you in advance

Antonio
Fab Lab Olbia

Nice idea. I think it could work;
Importing csv is easy.
Adding an event to the hands collision and compare that object name to the csv should be possible.
Displaying the text from the csv as well (in the hud. On the wall is a bit more complex - you will need some sort of markers for that so ue knows where to put the text)
Why not just try to make it yourself? You’ll learn a lot while doing so but it will be worth it (if you intend to use vr in the future)

I think it is doable through a smart use of data tables. UE4’s data tables can hold rows of text, float, integers. They can be populated by importing a CSV file and queried at runtime from Blueprints (e.g. with Get Data Table Row). Here is a reference: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest…ay/DataDriven/

Assuming you give each object a unique identifier (e.g. a tag) and you have the same identifier in the Name column of your data table, you can use it to retrieve additional info on that object from the data table.

An example of how it could work:

• The user points at an object in VR
  • You do a line trace to the object (or use an overlap event if you want the user to touch it), retrieve the pointed object through the Hit Results, read its unique identifier through its tag property
  • With the tag, lookup in the data table for a row having the same name as the tag (https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest…tDataTableRow/)
  • Extract the additional information from that row of the data table
  • Populate the screen with the info
  • Show the screen connected to the pointed at object
  • When the user gets away, hide the screen
  • Repeat for the next object

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Marco.