Should the floor/wall be a static mesh?

I’m not quite used to the fact that levels should be built primarily of static meshes nowadays. I haven’t touched 3D editors since the Source engine. Back then everything would be made out of brushes.

Anyway, I’m just wondering should floors and walls be static meshes? I heard that the built-in UE4 brushes aren’t very good with lighting and can’t really be interacted with (can’t even toggle visibility!).

For now I’m blocking my levels with brushes. Then, I’m going to find a way to convert these brushes to a static mesh, importing them into Maya so I can build more detailed static meshes for my level. Finally, I’ll convert the original brush to a blocking volume for collision and make all the static meshes have no collision.

Is this the right way to do it in next-gen level design? Should I build individual components, walls of a house for example, and clone/manipulate them in the UE4 editor or should I build the entire house in Maya and import it all as one static mesh?

Thanks!

That’s similar to the solution I’m using. If you prefer working with bsp brushes during block-out but want the final product to be a static mesh for performance, or lighting, or whatever reason, you could always use the “create static mesh” option on the bsp brush to create an equivalent SM (Unreal 4 - Converter Box Brush to Static Mesh - Content Creation - Unreal Engine Forums).

Of course an external modeling program is going to be a better solution for creating really detailed SMs.