Should I switch to Unreal?

Hello :slight_smile:

Currently I’m a Unity Pro Subscriber and I think about a switch to Unreal, because the Editor feels much more intuitiv to me and I like the concept of Blueprints.

For sure, Unity graphics getting much better and the new HDRP looks pretty good and is now comparable to Unreal graphics, but the workflow itself in Unity feels sometimes so… you know? :smiley:

So there are a lot of questions I’ve to ask to take my decision and maybe some people here can help me to find the answers :slight_smile:

If this is important: I’m working on an iMac Pro 3,2 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64GB, Vega64 w/ 16GB

CloudBuild
In Unity I’ve CloudBuild an online service that compiles the build in the cloud and sends me an email after it’s done with a link to download the build on my device (my main computer, my smartphone, whatever). Is there something comparable to that for Unreal?

Collaborate
Also in the Cloud there’s a service to synchronize my project to the cloud. Mainly to work with teammates together on the same project, but in my case I use it to have a online-backup/versioning. Is there something like that in Unreal or should I save the project locally to a folder which synchronize with maybe Dropbox, iCloud, etc?

Lightmap rendering
This is ■■■■ slow in Unity. How fast is it in Unreal? And is it possible to use a render-farm for it? Or does Lightmap rendering uses the GPU or multi-core/multi-threading?

Compiler
Does the compiler in Unreal uses multi-threading?

Multiplayer
There’s a new upcoming multiplayer-online-service for Unity in cooperation with Google Cloud, which is very nice and easy to setup. How is the workflow for building a multiplayer-online-game in Unreal? Is there a build-in system?

Assets
Unity has a big AssetStore and sometimes it feels like I’ve to buy every thing separately as a “module” for Unity to get my project done. I saw that the Unreal-AssetStore is really really small and I can find only a few things. Is there a reason why the store is so small? Is everything I need build in Unreal or I’ve to build every tool by myself?

Mobile Games
What about mobile games/platforms? How good is Unreal in this field?

New platforms
How fast to Epic integrates new platforms into Unreal?

Mobile work
If I would buy a MacBook Pro 15" to work mobile (sometimes) how good would this be with Unreal?

And now maybe the most important question: Why did you choose Unreal over Unity?

Thanks a lot!!!

Ok… the first thing I noticed is that this community seems to be dead :cool:

here let me try

CloudBuild
nope

Collaborate
nope. just, normal version control (perforce, etc) with unreal in-editor integrations

Lightmap rendering
also slow

Compiler
yes, since the compiler is VisualStudio for c++

Multiplayer
just regular networking and online subsystem integrations (steam), but no online services built-in

Assets
the asset store is relatively large by now but probably still small compared to unity or turbosquid etc. the unreal marketplace is a curated store though so there’s supposedly a quality standard that assets have (but apparently it’s not always there)
unreal has all the editor tools that you need to lay out levels, add lighting, particles, etc. you still need photoshop/etc for textures, max/maya/etc for 3d models, etc

Mobile Games
not so great apparently

New platforms
fairly quick I would say

Mobile work
can’t say

the community isn’t thead btw :wink: