Short film - Bread 3d scan (Unreal Engine 5.1 + Reality Capture)

Hello everyone,
I finally get this project done!
First time scanning all the sides of an object, I’ve learned a lot with this project.
Huge thanks to @WilliamFaucher for all his help with amazing tutorials!

Hope you guys like it.
Thanks! :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Hi @andersonrohr !

I absolutely loved your video! Such fun and positivity! You certainly found the right person’s tutorials to study! He’s UE Legend - certainly a bread of his time! The details shown in the closeup shot is unimaginable! You made pixels look delicious - and I’m not trying to butter you up! Did you have to suspend the camera at any angle to get a steady, consistent 360° scan?

Also, is Bread Pitt ( :rofl: ) homemade bread? It looks like an artisan loaf.

Let’s not forget the co-star of your video! Your dog is so adorable - doesn’t spend too much time loafing around - very active! If you ever knead a pick-me-up, your pet definitely has the energy and personality to make you smile! By the way, what’s your dog’s name, if I may ask?

Your work is incredible, especially since this is your very first time using this method! The render is smooth and the lighting looks great. What had you learned from this project that you had not been familiar with before?

Okay, I’ll stop with the bread puns - it’s the yeast I could do! LOL!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this incredible behind-the-scenes/cinematic short of, well, bread! :laughing:

As @Get_DOVAH_it has said so elegantly, the vibes in this video are immaculate with a production quality to match! :star_struck:

P.S. @Get_DOVAH_it is seriously a pun master! I could never have come up with so many bread-related puns. :rofl:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your words, it means a lot to me!!
And those puns, I’m laughing A LOT! Loved them! :rofl: :rofl:

I got the camera on my hands, but I tried to align the bread in the middle of the frame on every shot.
Yeah this is a homemade bread, but I didn’t get to bake such a delicious bread like that yet hahah. I went to a nature place with my girlfriend and my dog (he’s name is Sherlock Dogmes btw, and he doesn’t get tired hahah - I think he has some kind of autocharger inside) and there were some beautiful and delicious breads for sale that were made by an adorable old woman.

I’m loving Reality Capture. I was already used Polycam app on my phone, but it’s totally different because the app and the cloud does all the process for you. With Reality Capture, we need to do all the process and refinement wich I think its awesome, because we have control of everything. So I would say that all the process was new to me.
I also learned that I should had taken more pics. Sometimes I left a huge space between one pic and other, so I had to create some control points (like reference points) to tell the software it needs to merge the top and the bottom into a single mesh. I also left another big space between two pics on top of the bread, so I had to “recreate” that space in Photoshop by duplicating a pic of the bottom, flipping left and upside down. Luck to me, Reality Capture understood it well like it was the continuation of that sequence of pics around the bread :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the words! It means a lot to me!!
Yeah so many bread-related puns :rofl:
This is so nice, as I’m sharing here with you my work we’re all laughing and having some fun together :smiley:
I love these forums!

2 Likes

The pleasure is all mine! I absolutely ADORE your dog’s name; Sherlock Dogmes is so cute! Also, that’s what it’s all about, spreading positive vibes through creation and interaction! So I agree, this is nice, and moments like this wouldn’t be possible with developers like you, so thank you. :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I’m so grateful for forums and people like you, also Epic Games and Unreal Engine that opened an awesome window in my life. I started learning UE since the beginning of covid pandemic, and after that, very good things started to happen in my life.
So, a HUGE thanks to all of you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Late to the party but I still have a… toast. :smiling_imp: :bread:

As always your work blows us all away in the best ways. Truly incredible behind-the-scenes look and all the effort put into its creation. I look forward to seeing more work from you, it always inspires!

PS: The music really brightened up my day and called for a bit of dancing in my chair. :smiley:

3 Likes

Hey!
Reading comments like yours make me so happy and encourage me to keep creating. I’m so glad it brightened up your day!
I recently posted another work here Capturing a REAL person in Unreal Engine 5 + Reality Capture and 86 DSLR Cameras
(I know you guys have many work to do, but I just wanted to let you know :slight_smile: )

Spoiler: Also I’m working on another scans and will post here soon. Today was the hardest so far to reconstruct in Reality Capture with around 1400 pics.

3 Likes

If anyone is interested, I’m selling this bread on Sketchfab (exported directly from RealityCapture) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow, details are amazing

3 Likes

You’ve got to crust me on this one. Bread Pitt deserves no butter treatment than being featured for purchase on Sketchfab! Bread puns aside, this was a great idea! I’d love to see your scan featured in other projects! I’m really interested to see what environments other artists/developers would feature your bread in! :heart:

3 Likes

Thank you so much!! :blush:

2 Likes

Love those bread puns :heart: hahah
Thank you so much! I hope my bread could help other artists and their projects :blush:

3 Likes