Shifting Image to Different locations.

I’m making a niche app and I’m not sure even where to start to research.

I want to be able to do two things.

1. I want to shift the entire view in one of the VR lenses so that one camera points in one direction and another points in an opposite direction. E.G. it would show you what you would see if one eye was looking to the left, or looking up, or rotated on the z axes.

2. I want to shift a single object’s image in one of the lenses so that if you were looking at the item you would see a normal background but two images of the object. With the object translated in the same way the entire view would be translated in number 1 above.

This would be for a therapeutic program for people suffering from strabismus and amblyopia. Normal rules of “avoid double vision because best practices” don’t apply because these people already have double vision and this would hopefully help reduce their double vision.

I’d appreciate anyone who could answer how to do this or give me some keywords to research.

I am wondering if you could achieve that using Stereoscopic Materials. With them you basically have an independent control over what is shown to the right eye and what is shown to the left eye. In principle you could show two completely different images like in your use case. You will have to generate the two images separately from independent cameras looking at different views (or at the same view with a non-natural angle) and then project them to the material (I believe render targets would help in this case).

Here a couple of useful references:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Platforms/VR/StereoPanoramicCapture/index.html

Hope this helps! We are also busy on the social/healthcare side of VR, so I would love to follow your progresses.

Cheers,
Marco.

Thank you Marco,

I was able to do a little something with materials that shows in principle you can display different images to each eye, but making the appropriate translation for what I really want to do proves to be a difficult task.

This uses a material and get_screenposition to have materials have different opacity levels based on their x cooridinate allowing you to partition material effects into either the left or right lens.