In 5.8 shallow water plugin doesn’t capture any depth information resulting in no simulation running when “use capture” is on. With “use capture” off, the simulation results in a rectangle which ignores the underlying landscape. Confirmed on a clean project with the open world level template. Is there any workaround? @DevonPenney do you happen to have any information?
Hey! I have the same issue; have you fixed it?
Nope - shallow water is completely broken.
The problem was in Niagara’s scene-depth sampling shader. Incorrect ground heights saturated at 65504, leaving water depth and velocity at zero.
In:
Engine/Plugins/FX/Niagara/Shaders/Private/NiagaraDataInterfaceSceneCapture2DTemplate.ush
Inside TextureProjectDepth_{ParameterName}, replace:
OutCaptureDepth = OutInBounds
? {ParameterName}_Texture.SampleLevel(
{ParameterName}_TextureSampler, UVW.xy, MipLevel).r
: DefaultDepth;
With:
[branch]
if (OutInBounds)
{
OutCaptureDepth = {ParameterName}_Texture.SampleLevel(
{ParameterName}_TextureSampler, UVW.xy, MipLevel).r;
}
else
{
OutCaptureDepth = DefaultDepth;
}
Restart the editor, open Grid2D_SW_River, and choose Compile → Full Rebuild. Then test Reset with the viewport in realtime.
Keeping the sample inside an explicit branch restored valid ground heights and changing water depth/velocity. Reverting to the original shader reproduced the failure.
Verified on UE 5.8.2, RTX 5090, driver 610.88.
Hi all- I’m going to look into this real soon.
Does anyone have a log I can see for this problem? That might be helpful. Also, for those reporting it not working, what kind of gpu do you have?
This fixed for me… Thanks
Hi, my GPU is 5090 with all the latest drivers. I can provide you with all the info you need - I was debugging this issue for far too long and came to the conclusion, backed by experimental evidence, that the depth sampling in Niagara is just completely broken ATM. I didn’t check @AirborneCoder proposed fix so can’t confirm it works.