Shadows with Orthographic Camera Not Working Properly !

Shadow is not working properly with Ortho Camera. Some wired, low resolution shadow shows up when Ortho Width is less than 600, beyond that shadow just completely disappears ! Shadow work fine with perspective camera (See screenshots).

>> Completely clean project
>> Radeon R7 360 OC GPU
>> Directional Stationary Light
>> Engine version : 4.11.2
>> Did this steps Shadows disappear with increased camera distance - Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums to avoid shadow fade out issues. Even before that shadow wasn’t there for Ortho Cam.

Please any solution to get OrthoCam working properly will be a relive. By the way tested same scenario in Unity 5 and shadow just worked properly out of the box. Going crazy over this, don’t want to switch to Unity !

There is a issue reported back in 2015 (started with UE 4.6) about that: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-11026)

Strangely, 2 days ago that issue had 52 votes (the highest number of votes of all issues actually), yet today I’ve found that it has been reset to 0. I casted my vote for that one. You might want to vote too.

EDIT: err on the year :wink:

Epic please fix this or just help us find an alternative solution. like making our own shadows. But this should be adressed because it is making impossible to have any expected resoutl with ortho camera.

If anybody still following this conversation, i’ve found something. While using orthographic camera (and also orthographic sceen capture 2D with render target), i managed to get dynamic shadow on the surface of the unreal water, using water plugin.The waer looks completely off compared to perspective camrea, BUT THERE IS DYNAMIC SHADOW OF OBJECTS AND THE CHARACTER appearing on it’s surface. maybe someone who has deeper knowledge could take a look at this, maybe to find out what makes it different from for example.

some settings i have: deferred rendering, no lumen, no virtual shadow maps, the landscape is using virtual runtime textures. The shadow is appearing on the surface of the water not the ground under it.
Lets figure this out

SingleLayerWater shader mode uses its special, unfinished implementation of shadow casting. It was meant to provide volumetric shadow diffusion under the water surface once fully finished. But unfortunately, this doesn’t mean there’s much of a chance of light shadows properly working with ortho cameras. It’s just that this particular shader mode has its own hardcoded shadows.

Is it possible to somehow use this method to replace default dynamic shadows? Do you maybe know a resource that can help me? I have to use ortho projection, because i’m making topdown pixelart and even with 5 or less FOV, perspective distortion is visible in pixelart. I have an idea in my head, to use screencapture 2D and rendertarget to render scene depth from the lightsource, but I don’t know how to create a dynamic screencapture2D that captures the bounding box of the target object or how should i actually add the custom shadow mask to the scene

I don’t think using 3D scene for 2D pixel art game is a good idea. You may want to use Paper2D sprites and write your custom 2D shadows solution. But it’s quite complicated and advanced thing to do.

why would you say that? Only the missing shadow is the probem and it is only a problem with unreal engine, not technology. I am not a programmer and blueprints made me chose unreal. Anyways. I would appreciate any help with the shadows. I’m looking for a solution not an excuse to quit

Off topic from the Ortho camera, but related to the SingleLayerWater issue you bring up:

I noticed that I do not get shadows on SingleLayerWater shadow when using raytraced shadows. Is it safe to assume that raytraced shadows do not work on the surface of single layer water shader?

Im working on an ocean / sea scene that is using this shading model as part of its base water shader, but noticed RT Shadows not working at all with this model and cascade shadow maps leave a lot to be desired.