Shadow catcher, possible ? Oo

Hey bluearc,
thanks for your input. Well I get some results with that technique. But because I have to do the SceneCapture two times per tick for two RenderTargets, this will impact the performance for my highpoly model even more. And as far as i understand it, I have to change all Materials from my normal one to a grey one (and back) per tick. I think it is easier and faster to hide the model… Or to use the Cliplane.

Hey , I just wanted to check, if there are any news about a faster shadow catcher setup. Maybe the ARKit got a material/technique to create the shadows more efficient? (Also as far as i know it uses forward rendering…)

Hey SebaSopp. Shadow catchers or casters are working fine with composure pipeline.

afaik the composure plugin only allows to create composting inside the Editor. And there you can render out videos or pics. My project has to be a stand alone application…

This should not be a chore

1 Like

Can you go into detail with any of these, ? I tried doing the owner only see, but then it hid the shadow too. :slight_smile:

Could you tell more in detail about this, sir?

Hey guys, so did anyone find a simple solution to do the shadowcatcher?

Has there been any progress on a workable shadow catcher solution at all. Has Epic not implemented this yet as a Material/Plugin/ or BP?

thanks

5 Likes

I am looking for an easy shadow catcher solution for Unreal since a year, too. I made some tests with the composure framework in the past. But it is a pain to set this up because it is really complicated.

I am also wondering that there exists no easy solution as a plug-in or as an engine feature in the meantime. It´s a pity that a shadow catcher seems to be so complcated to create in game engines.

1 Like

Hi! Maybe this video is solution: Using Composure with a Backplate and HDRI | Tips & Tricks | Unreal Engine - YouTube