setting up android for VR: this is so stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid

There were a few YouTube videos that helped me accomplish this for the first time a few weeks ago (and I am totally new at this, going through the Unreal Oculus tutorial, which was a little too advanced for me on this part). None of that was at all easy for n00b me, so I’ll pass along my notes and hope it won’t take you as long as it took me.

I’d recommend this particular video to start:

then this boilerplate project helped me as proof of concept that I could get something onto the Quest 2:

And if you get to the point where you want to know about PSO Caching, this is relevant (even though not specifically about Quest) in addition to the official section from the Unreal Oculus tutorial:

Additional learnings:

• only use Android version 3.5.3
  • if you run the setupandoid.bat, it should have set your computers environmental variables for the SDK, NDK and java, and no need to set those paths in Unreal Project Settings (leave blank)
  • if you ever need to uninstall/reinstall Android Studio, read this including the comments
    How to completely uninstall Android Studio from windows(v10)? - Stack Overflow
  • If you need to relaunch your project, close project, delete Saved and Intermediate folders, and reopen
  • if you get a black screen, debug your project settings against the ones in the boilerplate project
  • When launching, if your project seems to take forever at “Launching On”, try putting on the headset and that may awaken it and complete the build.
  • Should you launch a custom profile for PSO caching purposes you must be sure to set the tick in Deploy.
1 Like