Setting cloud speed in blupeprints (Lerping material Time node)

Hello everyone, I have been trying to solve this issue for a few days now and I seem to be stuck so I’ve figured I should ask for help from someone more knowledgeable.

I’m trying to change the cloud move speed in blueprints. However, when I start lerping through the “CloudSpeed" parameter the clouds start acting weird. While I lerp from a higher “CloudSpeed” value to a lower one the clouds start moving backwards until the lerp finishes and they start moving correctly (in the right direction and in the correct speed). Similarly, when I lerp from a lower value to a higher one they speed up way too much until the lerp finishes.

I’m guessing it is because I’m altering the value of the “time” node. So, Is there any way I can fix this and change the cloud move speed in Blueprints?

Where is the lerp? ( also that won’t compile ).

You can do this

340646-cloudmat.gif

( although I think the addition is screwing around with the world position… )

You can do this

340646-cloudmat.gif

Thank you for your help! The cloud speed works when I set it from the material instance from the editor. But I was wondering if I could increase and decrease the speed from the blueprint during gameplay.

I have this lerp macro that I call from the blueprints. However when I lerp the CloudSpeed for example from 1.5 to 0.5 clouds in game start moving backwards until the lerp stops. Then they start moving in the right direction at the right speed.

How would I correctly lerp the CloudSpeed while it is multiplied by the Time node?

If it works in the MI, it will work from BP. Problem is, you have a BP error :wink:

You’re presumably using a timeline outside this macro?

Golden rule for lerps in timelines is, fix your start and end points before you go into the timeline.

Your problem is that you’re sampling the parameter value during the TL.

I’ve tried your advice and set all of the variables before lerping the CloudSpeed parameter however, I’m still getting the same result where the clouds start moving backwards during the lerp:

340673-cloudlerp.gif

Here is the full BP that I’m using to lerp the value:

I’ve tried your advice and set all of the variables before lerping the CloudSpeed parameter however, I’m still getting the same result where the clouds start moving backwards during the lerp:

340673-cloudlerp.gif

Here is the full BP that I’m using to lerp the value:

You’re still doing it :wink:

340708-screenshot-3.jpg

You can’t feed changing values into a timeline, you have to set the start and end for the lerp before you use the timeline.

I’ve set the Lerp A variable before the timeline start, but the clouds still move backwards during the lerp, like in the gif.

I’m thinking it might be because the CloudSpeed variable is being multiplied by the Time node in the material. But I don’t know how to set up the lerp to account for the Time node.

If it helps here is the full clouds material:

And here is the lerp BP:

Thank you so much for trying to help me, I’ve been stuck on this for half a week now :slight_smile: