Set Material Keeps Failing (please see Blueprints)- Is There an Alternative Function To Set Material

Thanks to ClockWorkOrange I learned of “Set Material”. Only problem is seems really buggy using it to toggle the color from green to yellow and then red depending on the distance of a vehicle. Out 5 different props, it only worked once. Even tried using a simple cylinder but it didn’t work. I read several posts indicating you have to toggle use with skeleton meshes in the material blueprint, but that made no difference for myself and many others.

Here’s the blueprint that worked. (sorry for the messy BP, it’s only my 2nd one)

Didn’t Work

Added print distance to ensure it was setup properly. The 2 freight bins with the check marks are the only ones that worked, everything else with an X didn’t.

Full Blueprint. X marks not working and ✓ worked. Spent the whole trying to resolve this with no success.

Why you are setting Material to Element Index 1?
By Default, Simple Static Meshes use Element Index 0.,

Is your Static Mesh made to use multiple Materials?
If your Mesh use only one Single Material, then Setting Material to Element Index 1 doesn’t do anything by default.

you can assign different materials to different Elements and Set that materials to LODs in Static Mesh Editor Window, here you can assign Element 1 as your LOD 0 Material.

And maybe get a copy of

:slight_smile: