Sequencer Batch Rendering cli argument change?

Hi,

I’ve been using the batch rendering to render big scenes for video compositing for a while now. Until 4.21 I was able to output multiple render passes by using the following arguments:

-MovieFormat=CustomRenderPasses -CustomRenderPasses="FinalImage, BaseColor"

and everything worked fine, i was able to get my different outputs.

But now in 4.21 this doesn’t work anymore. Did something change? The documentation wasn’t updated and I didn’t see anything in the changelog about batch rendering. By the way, the batch rendering still works if launched from the engine.

Here a sample of the arguments I use to maybe reproduce this:

{engine_path} {project_path} /Game/scenes/scene1
	-WINDOWED
	-game
	-MovieSceneCaptureType="/Script/MovieSceneCapture.AutomatedLevelSequenceCapture"
	-ForceRes
	-LevelSequence="/Game/sequences/sequence1"
	-NoLoadingScreen
	-ResX=12000
	-ResY=2652
	-MovieFolder="{output_folder}"
	-MovieFrameRate=25
	-MovieFormat=CustomRenderPasses
	-MovieName="scene1.{material}.{frame}"
	-MovieCinematicMode=Yes
	-MovieQuality=100
	-CustomRenderPasses="FinalImage, BaseColor"
	-VSync
	-NoTextureStreaming

I tried to render a 4.20 project and then convert it to 4.21 and do the exact same command (except changing the engine version, and project path), 4.20 worked, 4.21 didn’t :frowning:

Thanks

Edit:

An issue has been open UE-66897

Hello,

We’ve recently made a switch to a new bug reporting method using a more structured form. Please visit the link below for more details and report the issue using the new Bug Submission Form. Feel free to continue to use this thread for community discussion around the issue.

https://epicsupport.force.com/unrealengine/s/

Thanks

Can you see if this is strictly a problem with the custom render passes? (ie. does the movie capture process start at all)

If the movie capture process doesn’t start at all, it could be because we made one recent change and moved the AutomatedLevelSequenceCapture to a different module. There should be a redirector that handles this but perhaps it’s not picking it up. One thing to try is to change this line:

-MovieSceneCaptureType=“/Script/MovieSceneCapture.AutomatedLevelSequenceCapture”

to:

-MovieSceneCaptureType=“/Script/MovieSceneTools.AutomatedLevelSequenceCapture”

If by process you mean, does the frames are rendered, yes they do.
Changing the script path didn’t change anything.

After a few tests I would say it could be some parsing problems with the -CustomRenderPasses argument, I tried without the argument, and with -MovieFormat=CustomRenderPasses, all the passes were rendered

Then I tried -CustomRenderPasses=“FinalImage, BaseColor” only FinalImage was outputed
I also did -CustomRenderPasses=“BaseColor, FinalImage” and there, only BaseColor worked
Finaly I testest with more different passes, only the first one is taken into account.

This behavior is easy to reproduce, I dit it again on a fresh engine, and fresh project, I just had to set the MovieFormat and desired CustomRenderPasses using CLI