Sending gameplay event to actor on server isn't triggering an ability call for client characters.

I’m having trouble using a send gameplay event to actor call to activate an ability with a passed in payload in multiplayer. My setup runs all abilities server side, and one of the abilities has a wait event that ultimately leads us to this stage.

Since this is all in an ability, I’ve verified that this is firing on the server side. However, the gameplay ability tied with the gameplay event is not firing at all, and only fires if the owning actor is controlled by the server, it seems. I’m not sure where to start by fixing this - I saw this other thread on what seemed to be a similar issue Project Lyra SendGameplayEventToActor not triggering ability on clients even when calling from server , but I’m still a bit new to UE5 so I couldn’t make heads or tails of the answer there.

I’ve issued a fix where instead of sending gameplay event to actor within the function, I essentially just created an event on the character itself that replicates to owning client that just.. sends the gameplay event. That way, I know at least one call is being called on the owning client. However, i dont know if this is best practice, so if theres a better implementation please feel free to add it to the end of this thread.