Seeking advice on character-water interaction (SFX/ripples) and stylized waterfall VFX in UE5

Hi everyone,

I’m currently learning Unreal Engine 5 and working on environmental interactions and stylized VFX. I’ve spent quite a bit of time experimenting with these, but to be completely honest, I’m still struggling to wrap my head around the best workflows and feel a bit stuck. I would genuinely appreciate any guidance or pointers from the community.

Specifically, I’m trying to solve two main challenges:

1. Character Water Jump Interaction (Audio & Ripples)

  • What is the standard/recommended setup to detect when a character jumps into or enters water so it triggers both an impact sound (SFX) and a splash/expanding ripple VFX at the contact point?

  • Should I handle this via Physics Volumes / Triggers on the water mesh, a Blueprint interface detecting surface hit via line traces, or the built-in Water System?

2. Stylized Waterfall VFX

  • What is the ideal approach to creating a stylized/Ghibli/anime-style waterfall?

  • Do developers typically achieve this primarily through a scrolling panner material with depth fade and foam textures on a custom static mesh, or is Niagara required to sell the effect (especially for the edge foam, falling mist, and bottom splash impact)?

If you know of any solid tutorials, documentation, or common pitfalls to avoid for a beginner tackling these systems, please point me in the right direction.

Thank you so much for your time and help!

It’s a 3months project. There are no unified tutorials. Most of them are BS. None of them or even the custom work is going to perform OK within the engine.

You need to learn the following things in whatever order.

How to make custom meshes that won’t create seams when their tris are reduced/loaded.

What flow maps are.

What RT is and how to apply it to this concept.

What vectorfields are.

How to output from the 2d screen catprue into the vector field.

What distance to nearest brings to the table.

How to trigger analytical niagara particles.

Again, it isn’t a beginner thing, nor is it achievable without in depth knowledge of the engine and the rendering pipeline…