Screen Space (parallax) Reflection Corner Tearing

Hi guys, I have recently been having problems with the reflections on the ground that are getting cut off as it approaches the edge of the camera. It happens everywhere on the ground, but the picture shows what the tearing looks like. I have done some tests and found that it only happens when the roughness (which tells unreal whether the reflections are parallax or not) in the post process screen space settings is turned off. All the reflections are at their highest quality level. When I move the camera around, it looks like a tunnelling effect as the reflection cut out at the edge of the screen. Is there any way to fix this or increase the boundary that they are being cut out? Thanks for your time!

Hey Ryangrzesiak -

Do you have a skylight in your level? Placing a sky light into your level and toggle cast Shadows to false will give much better reflections.

Let me know -

Eric Ketchum

Eric,

I had a Skylight in the scene and tried turning off the shadows. It didn’t seem to do anything but make the scene a lot brighter. If i had to take a guess, it seems to be something with the reflection probes. This problem, however, seems consisted across all my unreal 4 projects.

The lines you are seeing is actually how the Screen Space reflections work. These reflections are meant to be used to ground immediate objects in your world while the skylight is meant to provide the Screen Space cubemap reflections.

All you need to do to balance these two are to lower the SSR intensity a bit and raise the sky light intensity a bit. Adjust those values will allow a smoother transition

Eric Ketchum

Wow, I never thought about it like that, but it makes perfect sense! I will check it out as soon as I can. Thanks for your help.

I checked it out and worked like expected. My problem was I didn’t know the relationship between the baked reflections and the screen space reflections on the camera. For those of you still curious, the reflection probes only affect the clarity of the baked reflections which, when in game, sit at the corner of your screen. The clearer you make these reflections the smoother the transitions from the baked reflections and SSR. Thanks guys!