Screen Rendering Issues in UE4.26.2 Editor (Source built) .. but only on ONE monitor.

Please watch this video: UE4 Display Issue 2 - YouTube

Here’s what happens. After using UE4 for about 20-30 minutes, suddenly elements (ex: popup windows in blueprint for selecting nodes, dropdown menus) in UE4 stop rendering properly. Usually at first they are completely invisible then they start showing up as black boxes. NOTE: I can still select things in this invisible or blacked out box, they’re just not displaying right. If I maximize the editor, the entire editor can show up as a black box. I’ve also noticed if I play movies in VLC media player while this is occurring, the video in VLC is completely black as well. Closing the editor causes VLC to behave normally again.

If I drag UE4 to my other monitor (as shown in the video), everything renders perfectly fine. If I try to record the problem in OBS, the elements show up fine in the recording. If I take a screenshot, the elements show up fine in the screenshot.

What I’ve tried

• Setting UE4Editor.exe to “High Performance” in both NVidia Control Panel and Windows 10 graphics settings

• Reformatting my drive and doing a fresh install of Windows 10

• Replacing my DisplayPort cable to my primary monitor

• Trying an HDMI cable for my primary monitor

• Trying different ports in my video card

• Replacing my motherboard (thought maybe my PCI slots weren’t working right. Sadly it was not worth the effort as it didn’t fix anything)

• Reinstalling video card driver

• Used latest NVIDIA GameReady driver. Also tried the Studio driver to see if it made any difference (it didn’t)

• Unplugged secondary monitor to see if it still happens on just the primary (it does)

• Updated monitor refresh rate (from 100hz to 50hz) - no change

• Lowered my monitor’s resolution from 3440x1440 to 1024x768 - no change

• Tried non-source built version of UE4 as well as built another version from source (from 4.26.1 to 4.26.2)

As far as I can tell, UE4Editor is the only application that provokes this issue. I can play all sorts of games just fine. My video card has passed several benchmark tests and remains at a low temperature. I don’t have integrated graphics so I can’t test with that. I have been trying things for a week and I’m so frustrated with this. I really need help. Please, if you have any ideas, let me know.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Video: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080

RAM: 32gb DDR4 1066MHz

MOBO: MS-7C91

Primary Monitor: Alienware 1900R

Secondary Monitor: Some old ACER with VGA out I have an adapter for to convert to DisplayPort

To add another note, this will not automatically start happening after 20-30 minutes. It’s 20-30 minutes of using the editor. If simply left alone, the issue is not provoked (I left the editor up for 1.5 hrs without using it to see what would happen).

And another note, rebooting the editor seems to “fix” the issue temporarily, allowing me to go another 20-30 minutes.

What fixed it for me was reverting my RTX 2070 Nvidia graphics card driver to 457.09 OR making sure the project was running in DX 12 if you rather not revert you graphics card driver. Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Somehow I never got notified of your answer. Today someone had suggested to me to try rolling back to Game Ready Driver 460.89 and the issues seem to have completely gone away. But your answer is correct - rolling back drivers fixed it!

Wish I could use the latest drivers but … oh well!