Scene Graph Keyframed Movement Very Jittery

Summary

I created a component using keyframed movement. It worked great. I posted it on reddit for feedback. 2 days later, I come back after no changes, and it is very jittery, and no longer looks smooth.

Please select what you are reporting on:

Unreal Editor for Fortnite

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

Scene Graph

Steps to Reproduce

NA

Expected Result

See this reddit post. https://www.reddit.com/r/FortniteCreative/s/c1X91qsvGR

Observed Result

No longer looking smooth like the video from my Reddit post. Very jittery. FPS is perfectly fine, and other games on the Fortnite platform work perfectly fine.
When testing, it looks like it is running at 3FPS, even though I am getting over 120FPS.

Platform(s)

Tested on PC, Mobile, And Xbox.

When working and running smooth, it looked great on all platforms. Now it is jittery, it is jittery on all the platforms.

Video

https://www.reddit.com/r/FortniteCreative/s/ZTDRm8oXqy

Additional Notes

Happy to share code privately with an Epic Games employee.

Very frustrating, especially because I put a lot of time into it already. Makes me not want to use the UEFN and Fortnite platform for game development.

Thanks for your time!

We’ve experienced this too, which is weird because supposedly scene graph runs it’s keyframes on the client side and not server side, so it shouldn’t be limited by any frame rate other than what runs on the client and not TPS.

I agree. Realistically, we shouldn’t need vehicle components, we should be able to create a vehicle with what’s already given to us with scene graph. These bugs and jitter make it impossible to create new experiences on Fortnite

.

Hey there, thanks for the report. We’ll confirm it on our side.

Just so we understand - it was smooth before the update yesterday?

Hello, yes that is correct. Although it was jittery the day before the update. I waited to report it because I knew there was an update coming, and I hoped maybe that would fix it.

Is there anyway I could send over the code I have? I don’t want to post it publicly.

@Prominent_Fox1 You can send me a DM, and I’ll forward it. Thank you!

Where any how can I send you a DM? I can’t seem to send you one on Reddit, and I can’t figure out how I could do it here?

You can send Flak a message by clicking this link

Otherwise to find the message button normally, go to someone’s profile click Interaction and then you’ll see the message button

1 Like

I am also experiencing some weird jittery/hitching behaviour with scene graph keyframed movement. I had made a custom player entity and I observed that there are random intervals where movement is very laggy. I’ve spent hours trying to debug this in 42.10 and 42.20, with different frame rates and devices, so i feel like this is a bug.

I can share a video and my code privately if needed

Thank you Rhyan. I’ve DM’d Flak with the script.

Thank you, I passed it off to the team.

I’m also experiencing the same issue on one of my projects. It was fine a few weeks ago and now its super laggy and buggy. Exact same issue as reported above here.

FORT-1155164 has been added to our ‘To Do’ list. Someone’s been assigned this task.