Scene Capture Cube has seams in it?

Hey all,
Just trying to use the SceneCaptureCubeComponent to create a dynamic background for a mesh and I’ve noticed that for whatever reason, the scene capture that is generated has some very obvious seams in it:

This is less than ideal. Anyone know how to fix this?
Using 4.27

1 Like

This is usually caused by a screenspace effect such as lightshafts, SSR, etc. Finding which one is the issue is usually a huge pain, I don’t know of a better solution than just going through them one by one.

2 Likes

Oh, how irritating! I probably won’t bother then since I’m just going to be using it as a background seen through transparent geometry so you probably won’t even notice the seams. Thanks for letting me know though.

1 Like

In my case, Bloom is the one to be blamed. Disabling it solves the seam issue. You may try the following as well:

In Project Settings, uncheck Engine->Rendering->Default Settings->Bloom

Then in the Details of PostProcessVolume, uncheck Lens->Bloom->Intensity

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.
I wonder if rather than disabling bloom, you could just turn it off with the Post Process before capturing. That way you won’t lose bloom entirely.

Update: You may wanna disable the vignetting effects too if you found some blurred dark edges in the panorama. See How to eliminate the darker problem on splicing edge when scene capture cube capture on final color? - #4 by CiaoTan

I’m pretty sure that works, I always disable the vignette with a post process volume. You can also just disable the bloom/light shafts etc flag on the scene capture object too.

Unfortunately I’m trying to capture a scene using volumetric fog/shadows and the only way to get rid of the seams is to disable “light functions” flag on the capture object which disables the volumetric shadows in the output. :frowning: Disabling eye adaptation seems to work too (edit: correction, eye adaptation does not completely fix it), but leaves the image way too dark. Exporting it as hdr and turning up the exposure in photoshop does not look exactly the same.

Lumen GI also seems to not be captured by the scene capture cube but seems to be able to be captured using 6 directional render targets instead although that does not result in a equirectangular output.

I’m curious if there are any solutions to getting rid off the seams while using light functions with volumetrics?

edit:
tested in a new empty scene

“SceneColor (HDR) in RGB”

“Final color (with tone curve) in linear srgb” and nothing disabled

“Final color (with tone curve in linear srgb)” with only Eye adaptation, vignette disabled

In a different scene I disabled bloom, light shafts, vignette, eye adaptation, but left light function on for the volumetric god rays, which still results in seams:

I wonder why any post-process effects would create seams. Shouldn’t it just be capturing a 360 screenshot? Why would that introduce seams when there aren’t any in the world itself?

It’s not really capturing a single 360 view, its basically just six 90º views along each axis that are stitched together

Still doesn’t explain the seams. You’d imagine it would do it after the post effects and still be seamless. Oh well.

Screenspace effects are never seamless, unfortunately.

AFAIK all of the captures are done separately without merging the gbuffers so each side has no way of knowing what else is going on in the scene outside of its 90º fov.

Shouldn’t volumetric shadows from lumen be non-screenspace?

That’s not Lumen, Lumen does not handle direct shadowing. Volumetric shadows aren’t screenspace, so I’m not sure why they don’t work.

That being said… I don’t know how VSM behaves in a cube capture. Maybe try switching to regular shadowmaps instead of virtual shadowmaps. Otherwise your lightshafts are very sharp and my next guess would be that you may still have lightshaft occlusion enabled in your light, which has the same problem as bloom.

I should note though that although volumetric shadows should work, I can’t say the same for volumetric fog itself. It relies on a heavy temporal filter, which should look fine while the camera is static but I would expect that you may see seams if it has to move.

Beyond that… no idea.