Scarf: Walking with Souls

Beautiful stuff keep it up, I was dying to press start through that whole video. Great job! :slight_smile:

Gameplay decisions - Wing transformation - Souls - Gameplay Video

Hi guys!
Well, we want to comment a few things about the development.
After thinking about it long time and have analyzed all the possibilities, we reached to the conclusion that if we wanted to make a successful development we had to delete the combat of the game.
While working on the game’s demo we realized that we wanted to explore other kinds of gameplay mechanics. The problem with adding combat was that we couldn’t focus as much as we wanted on the other aspects.
So we have focused the gameplay on the other elements that define Scarf: Walking with Souls, the platforms, the exploration elements and the puzzly ones. With a huge emphasis in the scarf transformations, which is what we wanted to do since the beginning.

And now we want to show some of the work we’ve been doing!!

As the name of the game says, Hyke is not the only character in the world. He will be surrounded by souls, and we’ve been working on the visuals of the souls, specially the VFX.

We have also implemented the Wings Transformation.
You can see a picture here:

And you can see the full animation here!

And for dessert we want to show you the first minute of the demo as we have it now.

The intro is a bit washed out in the beginning.
I would say to start with exposure set to -2EV’s and then bring it back to 0EV, Or use a auto exposure.

Or did you use auto exposure?

That double jump animation looks good!

I’m glad to see that this is still in development! The gameplay looks , and I am glad you guys are making good decisions to keep it in scope.

Keep up the good work, guys!

The walk animation needs to be more dynamic and sides balancing.

I like the original art of Hyke where as the scarf was more of a bandana, covering his mouth. Looks more badass. But other than that, great work, guys!

I’m loving the art style!

Massive fan of this project! It’s great to see how much progress you are making. The double jump scarf transformation works so well! Really excited to see what’s next :smiley:

Hey,
I think that maybe you are asking about the vignette effect. Is that so?

We have programmed the start with a moderate vignette effect that linearly vanishes about 3 second later if I remember correctly.

The background is too bright in relation to the foreground where the character is sitting.
So the background is causing it to have a “washed out” effect AKA over exposed, Unless that is what you intend for the scene.

I may find a good reference for you to read about what I mean later.

Thank you ! We think that this decision will make our development more plausible! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback! Told our 3d animator already to think about it!

This won’t be the last version of the scarf, we’re sure about it. We have to improve it a lot. We think, for example, it should be wider in the tale, and probably we’ll change also the neck part.
Thank you for the feedback!

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Hi ! Thank you for all your kind words!

Ok, now I think we understand what you mean. We do wanted it to be really bright and create something like the character melting with the background, but maybe we should re-think it, or at least minimize the effect. :slight_smile:

Wow, that is some seriously pretty environment art! Keep up the great work :slight_smile:

Do you plan on releasing the demo, and if so when do you think?

This looks amazing! Love the concept art.

Map changes - New ability

Thank you Chris :slight_smile:

We’re not sure. Right now we are testing the prototype and making some changes that I’m going to talk about in this post.
We’re planning on going with the demo to some events, starting with Gamelab (one of the most important spanish events) in less than a month.
I assume that if everything goes well and we are happy with our final work there might be a chance, but I am not sure.

thanks!!

Well,
We’ve been redesigning our map.
After some feedback and testing we’ve come with what we think would be a better way of understanding the different locations where you’ll have to go.
We are using the elements composition to achieve this, also using meaningful assets to mark the areas of interest (such as trunks and vegetation).

This was the original map design. Is kind of too big and baroque for the things you can do in the prototype. We have eliminated areas and as I’ve told previously, tried to highlight areas of interest, such as this one.

This is the redesign scheme (with annotations in spanish):

For example one important area that was kind of hidden in the last version, now we think is pretty clear that you are suppose to go there.

New ability

We’ve also change some other things, as you can clearly see where are the main objectives:
We are making more free the movement through the map. You can overcome the different tests in the order you want now.
For this to work as we want, we are implementing one of the other abilities that the scarf is going to have.
We think now it will be more fun the movement through the island.

first draft

final concept

This transformation (like the wings we’ve already implemented) will improve the movement of the character. This will permit the player to glide, which will be important thorough the game.
When we have some progress we’ll show you!

Hi!
It’s been a month since we posted and we’ve been really busy with the things we talked about last time: all the map redesign, the implementation of the new ability and working to close a prototype for Gamelab (a spanish event).
We’ve just come back and it was great, we had lots of positive feedback and we’re thrilled.

We’ve finnaly implemented the new ability, the posibility of gliding, it’s not a definitive version, of course, but we think the idea is clear and the gameplay has benefited greatly. We’re still improving all parts of that but for a first approach we’re really happy.
Right now, and unlike with the wings (which appear always in the same way), the leafs for gliding appear pressing the left trigger (provisionally!) and the more you press it the more the object materializes.
We’re not sure yet about this, as we’re still thinking about the best possible controls.

We want to show you a video of this gliding ability, hope you like it!

Looks really interesting! Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

Loving the progress! The scarf looks a bit off, however. It looks very stiff? How are you guys doing it?

thanks! :slight_smile:

Yeah, it is actually too stiff. Thing is we had other priorities and we’ve left the normal scarf aside. We tried clothing but didn’t work out. Right now we have a rig with too many bones. We will readjust it, promised!

Hey guys! I was just checking in as this thread has been quite for awhile. Are there any updates?