#savepaper2d

I’m working with a 3 man team on a paper2D project and I would love more features added but I’ve yet to run into anything I simply cannot do (EXCEPT CONTROL MULTIPLE CURSORS IN UMG which isn’t related). Our project is a fighting game inspired by Rivals of Aether and Super Smash bros.

At first I thought the OP had posted thread in the wrong place but after scrolling to the top, nope it’s in the right place. Over a month and no one from Epic has even commented on topic. Not a good sign.

It’s a sad state of affairs for sure. I’m still plugging along with my Paper2D game, but it’s making me more and more nervous I’ve made the wrong choice in Unreal the longer we go without updates. Even just some words of encouragement from EPIC that it is still on their radar would put my mind at ease.

It’s a shame seems to have dropped off the face of the map. I notice he’s logged into the forums as recently as yesterday from his profile activity date. But he hasn’t posed in any thread since August. :frowning:

Perhaps if we post some progress shots or other more flashy items we could get some more recognition? I think if EPIC sees people using the tool they will give it some more attention. We could have people post some pics here, or maybe push everyone to start project logs in the WIP forum with Paper2D in the thread name so they stand out?
https://forums.unrealengine.com/forumdisplay.php?11-Work-in-Progress

EDIT: Or if you don’t want to make an entire thread, there is a screenshot Saturday thread as well
Screenshot Saturday! - Showcase - Epic Developer Community Forums!

I agree with adding Paper2d to the thread name or starting our own Paper2D Screenshot Saturday

I still do not agree with attitude. We shouldn’t just try working around with something unfinished so they can bother finishing it.

How the hell the guys who make games with Unity will chose Unreal 4 ? Using Blueprint Visual Scripting is nothing but a false way of handling things. If you can learn blueprints just to do something with Unreal 4, you can learn C# to do things in Unity aswell, considering the tons of tutorials for it.

I will be honest, it took 1 months to create/mimic the Anim Notify system for my Paper2d Fighting Game. I didn’t have to suffer. Noone supposed to. is just a big example of what Paper2D is lacking. It is just sad and I -REFUSE- to think it the way that is “oh make some stuff, so they care to upgrade paper2d”.

It’s just wrong. Please stop thinking that way. It is not supposed to be that way. Would 3D creators would work hard to create stuff if Animgraph was unfinished, just to tell Epic to work on it?

My words might be harsh but I gave at least 1.5 years working on Unreal 4, and I don’t really have the time to switch engines, let alone learn a programming language. I really would like to see some improvement instead of having it hard way JUST to make them work on it.

I’m not on par with the 2D side of engine… But I took a quick look in 4.10 source code and Box2D api is there, Paper2D is built around it; now I’m confused on the real purposes behind thread.

Hello Bruno,
Let me try and clear out the confusion that i might have caused you.
There are no hidden evil powers and intentions behind thread. It is just a genuine cry of dispear from a developer that is afraid that all his hard work and comitment to engine might be shattered if they stop developing for plugin.

Could you imagine finding yourself in the same position as us? Building your 3d game while unreal stops developing umg (back when it was broken) stops supporting the latest fxb pipeline or does not fix a bug with lightmass? What would you do?

Our problem is that they have stoped completely fixing or developing for paper2d. You seem to cherry pick an issue and loose the bigger picture. In our case box2d.

Sometimes digging inside the code tells you half the story. If i recall corectly box2d was implemented back in april 2014. Since it has been marked as experimental. Because no one is working full time with paper2d they had to change a lot of things to make it work in harmony with the physx collision system. Guess what happened. No one has touched it for more than a year and a half and if you try to use it it will explode your pc. So how is that exacly ‘paper2d is build around it’?

In any case i thank you and everyone else for his contribution to thread, but i wanted to clear up a few things so people who read the posts dont get the wrong idea on why we are complaining.

It kind of goes like for me: Noob to game development. Super excited about what Epic has done with UE4. Super excited about awesome forum; (where you can sometimes even hear from the legend himself; Mr Sweeney) Saw some awesome progress on Paper2d last year, led by . Now Paper2d has gone dark. I don’t have anything on the line, like, I’m still learning. But it makes me wonder why the bale on Paper2d. Had to be a company meeting; “Ok guys, we’re slowing down 2d until or or .” They seem to be so open with a lot of things they do; why the silent treatment? We’re all adults here. I do agree with; why not find another 2d expert programmer and let him work on things, flesh-out more stuff. I mean Tencent, a big stockholder of Epic, just had an amazingly profitable quarter. Surely they can invest some money in a 2d developer. Anyway; my two-cents. I know nothing. Just like John Snow, and look what it got him!

Oh got it; If I get it right, mr. M.Noland was(is?) the only paper2D developer; but you have no communication with him since 4.9 preview I guess…
That is also around the same month he was last active in Answerhub.

And, UE4 also still have no skeletal animation tools for 2D characters?! And Box2D halfly done, etc. I though UE4’s 2D area was in a better shape than that.
I thought Paper2D were still a WIP too, so I wouldn’t think of building a game on top of it yet. But I see that’s not the case, it’s no longer marked as beta; If Mr. Noland is missing someone at Epic should take over, where is him :confused:
I don’t think at least 2 or 3 EpicGames’ staffer working on 2D toolset would hurt. If they never redirect more ppl to work on 2D they make *me *think that Epic was never interested in 2D genre to begin with, now mr. Noland burned out and kicked the bucket?!

Edit:
Is it just here for me, or his website is really not available anymore too? Because I can’t open it, only a cashed version:
http://michaelnoland.com/

Wow! Never cease to amaze! I’ll shut my yapper about Paper2d and try to build something awesome. Still epic Epic! And way to go!

From UE4’s blog page:

" Epic Games has awarded a new round of Unreal Dev Grants to a range of projects built with and for Unreal Engine 4. Today’s recipients are detailed below, and more information on the grant program is available at Epic MegaGrants | Bewerben Sie sich für eine Finanzierung zur Förderung der UE-Open-Source-Community - Unreal Engine.

AWESOME 2D GAMES

Spartan is a 2D platformer featuring “old school, tough as nails gameplay with pixel perfect controls,” and it’s made by only two people. Sinister Cyclops Game Studio get $14,000 to launch Spartan on Steam, and hopefully beyond.

Talewind features wind as a core mechanic in Ghibli-inspired, hand-painted worlds. WindLimit Studios earn $12,000 for whimsical platformer, an exemplary showcase of UE4’s Paper 2D tool. "

I just came here to post that as well. Grants going to 2D devs is awesome :smiley:
Being listed first is pretty cool too. Hopefully it helps keep paper2D on the radar!

His website doesn’t seem to be available right now…

94>
I can use it no problem. Maybe it was just temporarily down?

Seeing everyone’s posts here, and living in Japan for about 5 years (working at a video game company for 2.6 of that),
catching glimpses of what’s going on on random people’s smartphones everyday…
I’m guessing the reason there aren’t many Japanese developers on UE4 is due to the lack of 2d support compared to Unity.

I don’t know about y’all, but most of my favorite Japanese games were 2d.

The instant Epic boosts 2d support, I’ll do my part and notify my superiors to get to work on Epic Unrealio Bros.!

How you think guys what more important 2d or VR? i think VR its temporary(like in kinect time – once play and forget) but 2d is forever

I think you are right about; “2d is forever”. Can’t go wrong making 2d games (In the sense that there is a lot of valuable skills to learn in 2d, and if you make something creative and new and cool and interesting and intriguing, you might have some success with it.) VR “temporary”, I don’t know about that one. I mean it’s where all technology is going, eventually, isn’t it? Whether it’s next year or further into the future. I do think, that, even if VR becomes hugey huge, i.e. massively big, people will still play 2d games; Inside of VR! conversation is going to happen, you know it: “Hey girlfriend. What’cha doing?” “I’m laying on the beach on Grand Cayman, working on my tan and playing Match Three.” She’s really in a tanning booth with a VR headset.
Moral of the story? Learn 2d and how to put your 2d game in VR.

1 Like

It seems to have been only temporarily down… But it works now!

I tweeted him asking if he is still working on Paper2D. No reply yet but if I get an answer I’ll be sure to post here.
https://twitter.com/Tanagtv/status/667029835894669314

Not that I condone stalking him, haha.

Already looks like fun! I’m surprised more fighters like Smash Bros haven’t made it big.

Heya everyone,

RE: Paper2D development: It’s still a fully supported part of the engine and bug fixes will happen as time permits, but we don’t currently have any short or medium term plans for additional feature work on Paper2D, as reflected on the roadmap.

Personally I haven’t had as much time to check the forums as before, as I’m currently on the Paragon team rather than the engine team (moved over while we were wrapping up 4.9). Can’t wait to share more :slight_smile:

Cheers,

It’s all good. Thanks for the bit of Info. Paper2d is so cool already. We just sometimes get greedy for more more more. You know; feed the bear too much and he wants your arm or leg.

Good Luck Man

P.S. Paragon characters are looking sweet!