Sales model against game and asset piracy.

The topic of pirates uploading your game or assets to a torrent site and getting away with it has been discussed a million times. Yet the market is flooded with new assets and games daily. Which makes me wonder, how do you run a TV store if thieves can walk in and grab the TVs for free?

Here on the forums we read horror stories about developers suddenly not making any money because their assets are on a torrent site in another country. On Reddit actual percentages are posted of piracy in games and there is so little pressure on software thieves that the pirates actually reply there and admit they steal your data. There seems to be a global mindset there that games should be “for fun, not money”, or that “the devs don’t need the money”. Anyone stealing for whatever reason should be logged and treated as a thief, but this is simply not done.

I have made a large scale mod for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series called Road To The North, this was made for fun with no business in mind:

ZoneExpanded - Road To The North mod for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat - Mod DB

As a game developer who wants to turn his skillset and love for games into a fulltime job, I need to deal with people who’d rather have me starve and play my game for free than pay for it. As part of the research I have done, this turned out to be a fact for both “small” game devs and the top large companies.

With that in mind, to start as a full-time “small” game dev seems unrealistic unless you can make people want to pay for your game. When presented the option of the pirate (free, low service, high risk, outdated files), you must provide the player with plenty of reasons to pay (high service, no risk, additional content, auto updated files.).

I would love to hear from game developers who are currently brainstorming about their sales model or have been through the entire process. Let’s start a discussion here focusing on how to make the sales model great for both the developer and the players.

My thoughts so far:

1. Push updates with new content often. Let the player receive the updates automatically through so that pirated builds are always outdated.
  2. Ensure giving a fine experience on the marketplace (provide demo’s / refund policy etc.)
  3. Additional improved experience for paid players, such as customer support and community access.
  4. Sales model 1: Sell the game in parts, players pay for what they wish to play and not more (think of Life Is Strange).
  5. Sales model 2: Players pay a reasonable amount monthly to receive extra online content and future updates / content. The extra content will be in the cloud thus can’t be pirated.
5 Likes

As a dev with a pirated game, I can tell you it is basically impossible. It’s like pirating music, people seem to think it’s their ‘right’, or some other fkd up idea.

You could use the Epic model. Let people have the game for free, and pay for content. It seems to work for them.

I often wonder about using a validating server, to allow the game to play. The protocol for this changes on a regular basis. Pirated versions won’t be able to connect, because they are out of date. Downside is you need a connection to play. But this would definitely work.

4 Likes

This is definitely an option. The challenge would still be to actually make people do in-game purchases but I think this is especially great for online games, since you can already get a large player base on the free game and can possibly validate the additional content against pirated content. I’m a fan of “pay for what you play”, (if you go to one ride in the amusement park you don’t pay for the entire park up front.)

If the game is offline and all the game data is client side you could hack it to skip the validation call. On the other side, if the game is online and must retrieve data from the server, the only thing they could do is reverse engineer the server data to make a pirate server. It would take more effort. World of Warcraft is a fine example here. You can’t reverse engineer everything just based on data the server returns, you can have plenty of “hidden” software running server side only. The downside being that this server(s) costs money to maintain and when the game does not provide this money you must shut it down.

1 Like

I’ll link a few relevant posts here for informative purpose:

Indie dev accused of using stolen FromSoftware animations removes them, warns others against trusting marketplace assets | PC Gamer

https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/how-to-report-suspected-piracy/10614

Marketplace piracy, can anything be done?

Illegal (stolen) asset in the monthly free selection - #17 by spacegojira

UE4 - Anti-piracy BP time bomb with real date for Steam? - #20 by DraxFX

REDACTED - Pirate website reselling Marketplace assets - #2 by anonymous_user_b9532c9a

https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/they-might-be-giving-away-assets-that-are-usually-paid/766446/2

About your marketplace [ legal & risks ]

Piracy & Technical failure after launching my game. - #16 by The_Gametist

Things need to change. What’s the point otherwise?

2 Likes

If you find a way to change it, you’ll be famous :slight_smile:

I’d say 90% of people I saw streaming my game had pirated versions. I can tell because they didn’t have certain updates.

Then they complain about some aspect, and I’m sitting there shouting at the screen “IT’S BECAUSE YOU DON’T HAVE THE REAL VERSION” :slight_smile:

Idiots. I really hope there is such a thing as karma. Because if there is, these guys are going to reincarnate as little pieces of snot. No wait - that’s what they are already. Wow…

4 Likes

Do we, though? Would the people that pirate the assets actually pay for assets if piracy wasn’t an option?

In general, you’re going to get the best results by building a game that players love, and that gets good press all over the internet, and that is easy to purchase for not too much money. Most players don’t actually do a lot of pirating, because there is malware and such among all the piracy downloads. If I can go to Steam or Epic and plunk down $10 and have the game on my machines right away, that’s what I’ll do.

Additionally, if you can make your client free, and pay for a service account required to play, instead, then that will obviously let you control access much more. (As long as the online part is actually required, and not just a simple check you can patch out as a pirate.) That may also let you charge monthly fees, which might make more money than a single purchase. ($4/month or $40/year is generally going to give you more money than $20 for a one-time purchase, somewhat depending on game specifics.)

If you’re still super paranoid about your assets, you can always set up pixel streaming servers. Players just use their access device and gamepad, and all of the game and assets run on servers you host in the cloud. The draw-back is that this costs a lot of hosting costs, and thus you’ll need to charge more for the game, which means you’ll likely get fewer paying players.

2 Likes

If you can’t pay for a TV, do you rob a store for one? Also it’s a mindset, if you let one person rob you a second one will. If you can’t pay, don’t play. You should have other priorities at that point.

I agree and this is also much more accessible than a one time payment of for example 60 euros. Especially if like you said the service is online and is required to play this seems like a valid option against piracy too.

It’s funny I was just thinking about this today, basically players only need a potato PC with a good network connection right? Then all the game’s files and calculations are done in a datacenter? I honestly believe that is the way where gaming should be going. Just rent out a gaming set in the cloud for X per hour with all your games on it. No pirates.

1 Like

Paranoid is not quite the right word. It’s a fact that the minute you launch the product it’s pirated and that means 0 income from the 20 or 90% who pirate.

I started paying for all my software (including shareware) many years ago, when I realized that programmers do, in fact, need to eat. (Not concidentally, when I myself started doing programming work for money …)

But I’m not saying what “ought to be” in the best of worlds. I’m saying what is, in the current world. There are some things about the world we can change (mainly, what we, ourselves, choose to say and do,) and many things we can’t change, and thus have to live with and work around.

A Chromebook will work fine, I’m told! So, yes. But the infrastructure cost is quite noticeable. You may end up making more money with a cheaper subscription service and living with some amount of asset theft. (Besides, would whoever steals them really ship some game that anyone would care about? People looking for the easy way out tend to not create real value.)

1 Like

Also: it’s generally the case that you do better if you make the experience really great for honest, paying, players, than if you spend that effort trying to deny the person who copies 2800 games and doesn’t even start any of them. Those people wouldn’t pay for your software if they couldn’t pirate it, they simply wouldn’t have any copy at all.

And if the anti-piracy work makes the experience for the honest players worse, then you’re losing out on real revenue there. Any publisher/game that needs administrator-level access to install kernel drivers for their anti-cheat, is simply “out” for me. I refuse to allow that.

Also, another good option is consoles. Then it’s the platform vendor’s job to prevent cheating, you just build a game!

3 Likes

Asset piracy is something I’m very concerned with considering that I’ve worked on my game framework for almost 3 years now, scrapping and restarting over and over again, and now that I’m finally almost ready to release this such an issue is coming to my mind.

Asset wise I don’t think much can be done. But if you somehow have the money to pay for it, I’m sure you’d be able to use a DRM for your finished game assuming you can pay for it. (Problem is, most of us indie developers probably don’t have that kind of money.)

Last I checked a DRM in a packaged game wasn’t ever against Unreal’s terms of service. I don’t know who in their right mind would do that anyway… but I will add that for finished games. Again, assets, well, we’re probably all out of luck.

On that note, I don’t even like DRMs. But I really don’t know what else I could do. We’re a tiny studio and we literally cannot even begin to afford the losses from piracy… hopefully once we grow enough we wouldn’t need them anymore.

2 Likes

These are the people who do have huge lists of torrent downloads and keep seeding them on the network simply because they don’t remove them from the list. If authorities actually did anything about it, or if it were legal to hunt those IPs then they would be in a lot of trouble anyhow. You’d simply track the downloader without having to do effort on the game level luckily.

I completely agree. Client side anti-cheat does not make sense anyway. Let the client cheat / mod / whatever they do and let the server have a proper validation process. Even if you catch a “cheat” client side, the server would still be foolish to trust the client.

Now this would be interesting, Is this some agreement with certain markets, parties or written in law? If only this were the case with Steam. I do think consoles make it a lot harder to pirate games made for them but I don’t think the effect is as great as it used to be before 2005 when basically everyone had a potato PC. Still, even people with a PS2 quickly figured out that you could bypass the disc security entirely simply by opening the disk tray without using the button and swapping to a pirate copy. It was poorly thought out. I believe that when emulators also started to get popular that some consoles, at least PS3 became more complex to both reverse engineer and hack through hardware. Now in 2023 most of us have “NASA” PCs to run any console on through which even the console exclusives reach PC in record time.

**Edit * For some reason I read “cheating” as pirating, I’m a bit tired atm. Cheating itself isn’t something you always want to prevent. You can get false detections or a desired mod could be blocked as cheating. Further if you don’t code server validation and security any cheat could cause serious trouble on the server or even for other players and there is nothing a vendor can do about that. Client side there is no point defending against cheats.

We are in the same situation. All I want to do is release the framework modules to help out devs, then release the game(s) created with it as well.

If a security measure can be cracked / removed / bypassed or replaced by pirate code, it will be done by pirates. Making it effectively useless sadly and more of a pain in the a for players who did pay.

1 Like

Funnily the laws often protect these people. I like comparing the software theft situation to the TV store. What do you do in a TV store? You log the people who steal on camera, shame them in public, claim for damages, worst case they get shot. Obviously this depends on the location and laws. Speaking of law, the thief could be off a lot worse. Now we look at software theft. Is it illegal ? yes. Is hacking the software illegal? yes. Is something done about it by authorities? No. May you do something about it? Well, acting on it is for about 90% illegal. You can’t just pull up the IP of who downloaded a torrent and “act”. What are you going to do legally? About everything you might think of requires the authorities to act or is illegal to do so yourself. Absolutely no one is going to track down some rando hiding behind 10 IP addresses in another country for a game developer if it’s high risk / illegal or not worth the money. Even if you knew who exactly stole from you it’s already in 2000 places on the internet so at that point it’s simply too late. Unless you want to spend full-time sending damage claims I guess.

What about EPIC? There’s an address you can report theft to, but from what I’ve read nothing is actually done? I mean what kind of task force would that be?

2 Likes

Google Stadia failed miserably, remote gaming is not an option for many games (fps where you need low latency) and even with a good connection they lag a lot, also Pixel streaming is not even close to the feeling that a physical machine gives.

Minecraft built an empire on piracy, I was the only “idiot with a license” who bought it in alpha for 10$ while all my friends were using pirate clients and custom servers (because they couldn’t join regular ones without license verification).

This is one of the reasons of Minecraft’s popularity increase, many children on YouTube were streaming a pirate version (and telling others how to download it for free), but this made it spread incredibly.

The second reason is that it’s a great game and that’s why all of my friends bought the license later, when the price reached 20$ (so they actually gave more money to the publishers than me), if you see piracy as a “try before you buy” it could make a difference.

The same applies to marketplace assets: sometimes the code is just terrible (blueprint spaghetti monster, c++ nightmares, badly implemented third party libraries) or the models and animations are not even close to the word “optimized” (many “free for the month” assets are really embarrassing, I’m really happy I didn’t pay for them :sweat_smile:, honestly I wonder how they select them and decide to pay 7500$ for that s**t).
Sorry for the rant, what I was trying to say is that it’s pretty hard to get a refund on the marketplace, (my first mistake was buying a procedural dungeon and I still regret it after two years :rofl:) and if I can find a demo (or pirate) version before I buy them I always give it a try, sometimes the “real thief” is the seller (especially on the Unreal marketplace), some products are tremendously overpriced and it takes more time to adapt them to your needs than writing the code from scratch…

It’s a hard topic to discuss, as a seller I understand your concern, I always try to sell my products at a honest price and offer a nice customer support, maybe I’m not going to be rich but I’m happy when someone thanks me for helping him.

4 Likes

That is disappointing. I remember that I tried a service similar to teamviewer years ago and only one would somewhat work well on Unreal Engine and games in general but it was no option on WIFI and no option on 2K, too slow. Makes me wonder how much further the network must be improved to get to the point where this is realistic.

This is an interesting theory, I thought Minecraft’s huge amount of updates were the reason for people to stick and pirates to lag behind but if piracy is the actual reason for its success I’m leaving this planet :upside_down_face:.

More like always. There is no quality control. I made the mistake of paying 80 for a repository related plugin which was free and public on Github, apparently 90% made by someone else. That hurt a bit. Any poorly made software offends me lol. You only need a single perfect module per task, not 400 student projects. I don’t want to discourage students here but there is a clear difference between code you write after 1 year and after 10 years and there is absolutely 0 quality control on the marketplace so digging through mini plugins sold for 40 euros or add a 0 is just a pain. I think this is a disappointment many of us feel when we do visit the market, look for existing software because we don’t want to reinvent the weel, then instead return empty handed. Maybe it even motivates piracy for people with the “try first buy later” mindset. With source code you just can’t really provide a demo of the actual source like you can show gameplay on a video. Just like there are minimum requirements for assets such as meshes and textures there should be (a lot stricter) requirements for a marketplace asset containing code. A senior dev at EPIC could see in about 10 seconds if any of the c++ files is a total spaghetti or not. If one is the others will be. The star rating system we have there is not a reliable indicator of quality, but the only we have. That’s a whole new topic of discussion though…

Randomly? I have no idea. I grab the “free” assets but I doubt I will ever use them. I think the creators get paid though by EPIC. I am simply not going to clean up every asset pack and check every single file if it’s stolen or not. What about the sound packs? Which creator went outside to record a bear growling? How do I know it’s not copied from say Tomb Raider 3? I’m not going to risk it.

1 Like

Bumpp this cause the piracy topic in general needs more attention.

1 Like

By Publisher Cafofo Music, free content at least in januari.
This is what you get, apoligies, when your game is on Steam and some butt added content on the marketplace which puts your business at risk.

Waiting for the next mail of the other sound pack “Farm Animal Sounds” (same publisher) if it gets detected. Or any other sound pack containing animal sounds.

I have contacted Epic and I sent a link to this post hoping to get an answer how we can deal with the marketplace piracy. Us honest developers are at risk of publishing pirated content through games.

Unfortunately this is extremely common. They need to be offering some kind of indemnification as part of every license.

Otherwise why would you ever expose yourself to the liability of using marketplace assets

1 Like

Illegal (stolen) asset in the monthly free selection - #63 by Chiefwhosm

Thanks Chiefwhosm for pointing out that the mail from Epic does not name the creator of the removed content, which creates confusion about products with a very similar name. Also, that the above content was removed from the Vault.