RVT extreme color difference in World Partition map

Hi all,

I’m having color extreme issues with setting up RVT. I’ve tried it on a separate map, and there it works fine. In my World partitioned map however, I’m getting unacceptable results that I cannot resolve. Here is my simple material I’ve set up as a test;

• All RVT setup is standard (volume, RVT settings, ouput, draw in main pass, …)

Here is the same material and set-up with the base color bypassed;

The base color texture uses standard DXT1 compression (and works on the other test world via RVT)

Virtual memory allocation seems fine;

Here are the modified world settings,

and here my landscape settings

If someone could give me some idea’s where to look, I would greatly appreciate it. I’m at my end’s wit here, been looking for the issue all week.

Have a great weekend.

Hey @Flutebox!

It… kind of looks like the roughness is lowered and it’s reflecting more light?

I found another thread, though I don’t know how much of it applies to you.(1) Also, in the documentation there is a RMB → Fix Material Usage, give that a shot. (2) I noticed your setup is quite different from a typical RVT material graph. (3) Is it possible you’re using the RVT volume correctly? Check out the official RVT documentation! (4)

(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

Hi Mind-Brain,

Thanks for the quick support.

Roughness does not seem to have any influence, if I bypass the RVT with roughness the same ‘whiteish’ color remains. The issue is only in the base color channel.

(1) The bounds are set up correctly as far as I can tell, moving them manually only makes a mess on the none-covered area. Low resolution will be the next issue I try to resolve, for now my focus is only the color.

(2) fix material usage did not help unfortunately

(3) The material graph is quite different as this was only a test with 2 textures. on a separate (none-World partitioned) map this setup did not change the color.
My final landscape is an array landscape, where I select the texture depending on masks, vertex painting, and noise.
I used a UDIM first do do this (because Arrays do not support Mip-Maps), but according to the forums using a virtual texture - Like UDIM - inside of an RVT does not work. And I can confirm it does not work.

(4) Yes, as far as I can see I am using RVT volumes correctly. I read trough the documentation many times, and looked at several other resources (forum, youtube, …)

Something else strange, you can set up a RVT output in a landscape, but if you try to do it in a streaming volume there is no window generated. Is this a bug or intended?

NoOptionToOverwriteRVTInLandscapeStreamingProxy

The only thing I can think of trying is starting all over again - starting a blank material with an RVT and seeing when the issue arises. Only when world partition is enabled? Only when I add paint layers - even if they are not connected - later on?
As you can understand I am somewhat reluctant to go trough all of this effort.

For anyone re-visiting this topic, the solution was using an RVT with all 4 channels: Base color, normal, roughness and Specular. Not using Specular caused the issue - even though I did not use the specular channel. Must be some kind of weird bug I guess? Or weird interaction? Not sure what caused it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.