Download

Runtime virtual texture sets landscape to lower mip

​Hey guys,

Testing out the new runtime virtual texture system on my landscape object and while the virtual textures render great, the landscape’s original texture beneath it is doing this bizarre thing where it gets stuck in a certain state of mipping. Some parts of the landscape stay high res and other parts stay low resolution and it doesn’t change no matter where the camera moves. Here’s what it looks like without RVT:

and then with RVT plugged in:

(you may have to view the images at full resolution to see the difference easily)

I’ve got all the size settings at maximum in the RVT asset. Has anyone seen this before?

I am having the same issue.

ue-vt-lowmips

As I move the view around the patches are changing and some get stuck at a low mip level until my view covers more of the patch. Perhaps something to do with the view frustrum.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

RVT is the only way of using complex landscape material with more than 4 or 5 layers without serious performance issue. My landscape material is 3 times more heavy on BasePass than the same material with RVT.
The problem is that lile people here, I can’t find a way of using it without having those visual issues (slow mipmap switching, no mipmap switching unless you move the camera, tiles switching to lower mipmap while not moving the camera, etc.)

There’s a lot of settings in the virtual texture settings, landscape settings, RVT volume settings, RVT node settings, material editor settings, etc. but no documentation about how to use them.
What are the settings we should use to get rid of those issues?