Run in background while not being worn

Hi there :slight_smile:
the “normal” behavior of UE4 is that the last frame is being frozen if you remove your hmd and that frame will be displayed right until the hmd is being put on again… i want to disable this freezing behavior and instead play a video or something like this, is there a way to change it? (i just need the engine to continue rendering^^)

It depends in your hmd. Rift for example has a proximity Sensor which you can disable with the debug Tool they Ship. I don’t think you can Control it by UE!

of course you can, not the rift is stopping the rendering, its the engine for sure.
That wouldn´t be a solution anyway because i still need the sensor (i just want to be able to continue to render something in the engine, not nerf a crucial function of the hmd itself :slight_smile: ) the older versions of the engine just kept on rendering after the hmd was removed from the face :confused:

then I’m also curious how :slight_smile: if you find a way - I’m interested how it can be done. I was thinking it is the HMD / Driver / Firmware … stopping the frame, because if I play a regular game and take off the hmd, same thing happens!

I’ve looked through the UE sources and I guess you need to set FApp::bUseVRFocus with FApp::SetUseVRFocus(true). This should prevent the rendering stop. But it doesn’t look like it’s exposed to BP. Which hmd are you using? In Oculus hmds it seems to be set onBeginPlay automatically at least when playing from editor. Im not sure if it is the right property or if I’m in the wrong direction, maybe this handles only the focus of the gameplay window - but it should allow you to dig deeper

Ah - whats about adding the VRNotificationsComponent - it has a BindEvent to HMDRemovedFromHeadDelegate you could use for that. Try

I tried this the Quest headset still goes to sleep and prevents replication for clients

I’m trying to figure this out for the Quest HMD so that the clients can still play when the host headset goes to sleep or keep it awake I’ve tried all sorts of permissions and nodes nothing

I need this fixed I need my game to run in background still in the headset especially if host headset goes to sleep

doesn’t work or prevent app from rest mode we need a way to keep unreal running in background if player is hosting a match over peer to peer

Still No Solution to keep app running in background