RTSP stream only shows black texture

I have followed the tutorial here: Play a Video Stream | Unreal Engine Documentation to play a video stream from within Unreal Engine. It works fine with the sample video, but I’m trying to stream from a locally running RTSP server. I have verified that the stream is working in VLC player, but in Unreal Engine it only shows up as black. The log doesn’t show any errors.
Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (h264)

Any help is appreciated!

I got it to work using VlcMedia (GitHub - ue4plugins/VlcMedia: Media Framework plug-in using the Video LAN Codec (libvlc).) instead of WmfMedia. If anyone knows how to get it to work using WmfMedia however, I’d highly appreciate it still.

Looking for the same answer. I can not use VLC since I need to use the newest version of Unreal 4.25

Has anyone managed to get RTMP to work in Unreal without the outdated VLC plugin?

I also am unable to use the VLC plugin, as I am using 4.25 and need the stream to play on Android as well as Windows. I’m streaming from OBS to my Wowza server through RTSP, and am able to confirm the stream is working consistently. When I try to display the stream in Unreal however, it works about 20% of the time. The other 80% of the time I either get a message saying “The byte stream type of the given URL is unsupported.” or the stream just shows black in game. The stream seems to randomly be “supported” and start working after a few engine/computer restarts (with no configuration changes). Here is what my URL looks like: rtsp:// Can anyone give some advice on why Unreal is the only thing that seems to be giving inconsistent results in this case? In the media framework technical reference, it says RTSP streams are supported.

427documentation shows androidmedia player support rtsp Media Framework Technical Reference | Unreal Engine Documentation however, it does not work , anyone has a good idea?

In case someone is still struggling with similar issues: VlcMedia -plugin did not work for me in 4.26 but I managed to get RTSP-stream running with FFMPEG. GitHub - bakjos/FFMPEGMedia: Unreal FFMPEG Plugin to support more video formats and alpha videos

1 Like


Do they solve this issue or give some instructions in UE 5? It also occurred to me in UE 4.27…

Any updates for UE 5.x ?

1 Like

Is there someone successfully in version of Unreal 5.x?