Hello! I am a passionate and experienced game programmer looking for a team or individual with similar goals as mine. I currently work full time as a Lead Software Engineer overseeing a team of four developing games in Unity3D. I have been working on the side in Unreal and I have enjoyed the engine enough to want to pursue additional work in it. I am 26 years old, married, and have a little girl. I became a programmer because of my love for video games. I would prefer a team that values quality over quantity and wants to make great games. If you are a team or an individual that understands that it is more important to have a small team of very good people rather than a large team of mediocre people, then please reach out to me. I am okay with being the only programmer on a team or working with a team of programmers.
In the title I mentioned that I am looking for Royalty instead of a Paid position. I do not want to be paid a set amount for my work. I want my effort to be a part of the risk taken to produce a game. This means that if we were to produce a game that makes x amount of money, then the amount of money split to the developers would be a reflection of the amount of work they did on the game. As such I am completely fine without being paid a cent until our work actually produces money. All in all, I want to make games that makes someone want to get home from work or school to play it. I remember those days. The money is more of a secondary goal.
Below is an outline of my experience to help you get to know me better. I will be looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks for your time.
- Experienced with working in UE4 on a C++ level as well as on a Blueprint level. I do find Blueprints to be faster for prototyping or learning a portion of the API.
- Advocate for good design and writing code that is clean, as simple as it can be, and extensible.
- Experienced with making games for multiple platforms: iOS, Mac OS, PC, Android, Kindle, Windows 8, Linux.
- Experienced with Unity3D and C# due to previous professional and indie projects.
- Familiar with many SDKs such as integrating the Facebook SDK into games, Steamworks, etc.
- Familiar with Client/Server architecture.
- Experienced with optimization, multithreading, and networking.
- Familiar with being the “last line of defense” for hard to solve technical issues for teams.
- 4 year Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science 3.72GPA, 2011
Current professional work
- Lead software engineer for one of the top grossing mobile social casino apps built with Unity3D.
Previous indie work
Kitrau- Final Fantasy RPG style of game successfully kickstarted and built using Unity3D.
- Brought on-board to fix bugs and add additional features.
- Implemented a target highlighting system through raycasting and shaders. This also allowed the use of the mouse for selecting targets in the world.
- Created PlayMaker scripts to allow other members to reuse functionality.
Alum- Adventure game made in Adventure Game Studio(AGS) that is similar to the older Sierra and Lucas Arts adventure games. This game was kickstarted and successfully released on Steam.
Ported the game to work on Linux and Mac.
Integrated the game on to the Steam platform and implemented Steam specific functionality such as achievements.
Rewrote the game’s demo in Unity3D as a proof of concept for the team to move to a more modern engine.
My own unnamed project in UE4 - Action RPG style game being developed in UnrealEngine 4 using blueprints and C++.
- Implemented input controllers and target selections through line tracing.
- Designed and implemented an extensible skill system.
- Implemented AI controllers for use through blackboards and behavior trees.
- Currently designing an inventory and item system.
- Email: email@example.com
- Skype: coldscrip
- Flexible working schedule expected, but I would expect at least an average of 10-20 hours a week from me.
- I expect a team that is equally invested in the project and thus takes an active part in having discussions/meetings.