Roughness not working as intended

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here so please forgive me if i managed to do something wrong (like post in the wrong section or the asnwer is already hidden somewhere here)

I have a problem with roughness map. It does not want to work as light scattering effect instead it works like strenght of reflection. All other maps appear to work fine but this one is not doing what it should be doing. (ive tried pure black, and pure white and all sorts of dirt map variatons)

It looks fine in the preview where you are setuping the material (acts as roughness should) but in viewport it is just changing the strengt of (compelty not rough) reflection .

I have tried seting the sceene from start the problem is still here

here are screenshots of the problems so that you guys get a better idea of whats going on

ive serched the net thrue and thrue but with no luck. i am either asking the wrong question or the problem is extremly specific so i am at the end of my ropes and i do hope someone here will find the answer i need

First of, the floor is wood, not metal. so in theory you shouldn’t use that input.
Artistic choice aside ofcourse.
but might be part of the problem.

Roughness needs a roughness map to show accurate physical accurate properties.
Just putting in a 0-1 value wont give you PBR-accurate results.
Just like a texture, or normal map, roughness works best with an accurate map.

here is some info on those maps: Roughness maps? - World Creation - Unreal Engine Forums

Hey, thank you for the reply!

Unfortunately i dont understand you. i have shown the wooden floor because you can see the problem there nicely but the problem goes for any material.

The Roughness input literally controls how rough the Material is. A rough Material will scatter reflected light in more directions than a smooth Material. This can be seen in how blurry or sharp the reflection is or in how broad or tight the specular highlight is. Roughness of 0 (smooth) is a mirror reflection and roughness of 1 (rough) is completely matte or diffuse.

Now if you check my scene and the things in a red square you will see that this is not happening in my scene. For some reason the roughness map is not working in the view port (but works fine in the material editor), the material acts as if my roughness is always at 0 and everything looks like a mirror. The only thing that is changing when i change roughness values the strength of reflection instead of smooth/matte.

I have tested the same scene on 2 other computers. On one it is working as intended and on the other it is not but have had no luck figuring out where is the difference.

have you tried the same thing but disabling the metallic input you have?
Also, if the exact same scene works fine on another computer, but not yours, and you are sure everything is identical… that would be a whole other issue.

Worst case add me on skype - Luos_83 - and I can take a look if thats allright with you.

Yes, i have tried disabling the metallic input, it makes no difference. Thank you for the offer for skype help, i will wait a day or two to see if someone that has encountered this problem might have an easy fix reply for me but if no one replies i might just take you on that offer.

As Luos said, first of all, you don’t need metallic for wood material (it is non-metal material). The source he posted is also helpful for you to understand how PBR material work in UE4.
Then, when you test roughness, the best is to increase to 1 and then lower it to 0 to see if it doesn’t have effects at all.
Also, the preview sphere only gives you how it appears on spherical surface, your surfaces are more cubic and flat.
You can choose plane mesh to view the effect in preview window to match the mesh in your scene.
Moreover, like Luos said again, you need a map in roughness input instead of a value. A value means every pixel on your mesh surface has same reflection effect. Yes, you can use a value to make a material, such as making s stylized game like monument valley or mobile games. But for ArchViz project, you need more realistic materials. For wood material, you need values to define polished parts, wood knots, scratches and more details. So one value will get a uniform looking in roughness.
One last thing, I think you need to check screen space reflection in post processing volume. By default, I think the reflection quality value is set to 50 which is 50% quality.

Hello netseeker and thank you for the reply

I will try to make new screenshots as it seems i am not being clear enough (i do apologize, English is not my native language.

As Luos said, first of all, you don’t need metallic for wood material (it is non-metal material).

This was just an example because the light reflects nicely from the floor as i already said it happens for all materials, but i will recheck this as soon as i can and post screenshot without metalic

Then, when you test roughness, the best is to increase to 1 and then lower it to 0 to see if it doesn’t have effects at all.
I have done that and as stated already it does not effect the smooth/matte of material but shear strength of (extremly smooth, mirror like) reflection

like Luos said again, you need a map in roughness input instead of a value. A value means every pixel on your mesh surface has same reflection effect.

in my first post i replied to this also, saying that i used pure black pure, white map and different dirt maps but the problem is the same. I have done the going from 1 to 0 and it does not effect the roughness.

One last thing, I think you need to check screen space reflection in post processing volume. By default, I think the reflection quality value is set to 50 which is 50% quality.

Thanks! ill definitely have a look at that