Rodents: Rabbit, Squirrel & Rat

any documents on how to set up this project in different projects. I can’t seem to set it up it just stands and do nothing in the navmesh]

Check the Demo level for instructions on how to use the pack with your own levels.

Well, leaving it alone for a long time seems to do it. Although, now that I have it loaded, the behaviour is not as expected. Without touching any of the BPs, the actors jump once then only rotate to face away from the player. They will not move again until I’ve made a different one move. This repeats.

The Rodents use nav-mesh to get around so you need to build navigation, Click the arrow next to the big “Build” button, then click on Build Paths. If the Rodents are just sitting in place it’s usually because they don’t have navigation data.
The long load times are because of the environment textures in the demo level, those 8K textures take time on slower systems and slower graphics cards. It just takes time to process all those textures. For most newer systems the process will take like 3 or 4 minutes.

Thanks for the reply, yeah my CPU is a bit of a bottleneck it seems.

Re-opening the level should be very quick once you get through that first processing phase. :slight_smile:

Opening this level freezes my computer, on v18.3. So that’s cool. I can drag the contents folder into my project and check things out there but I don’t know how to get the rabbit to run from me and I can’t learn from opening up the main level.

How do I get the animals to run from me, please?

First be sure you have a navmesh volume in your level.
Next drag some “Rodent_Path_Nodes” around your level where you want the animals roaming around.
Then drag in some animal NPC blueprints into your level (BP_NPC_Rabbit, BP_NPC_Rat, BP_NPC_Squirrel)
Next Build Navigation.

To make the rodents run from an enemy- Open the character Blueprint of the enemy.
Expand the Actor Section on the right in the Class Defaults. and you should see Tags.
Click the + next to Tags to add new tags.
Use these enemy Tags: RabbitEnemy, SquirrelEnemy, RatEnemy

All the Rodents should now avoid that enemy.
You can follow the example of ==> NpcBot_WithEnemyTags in the ThirdPersonBP>Blueprints Folder.

Hope that was helpful

Hello. I got this pack when it was “Free for the month”. Do I have to buy it now, to use it in projects for sale?

Yes, you are free to use the Rodents in your commercial projects.

Well I’m feeling pretty stupid. What I want is to drop in rats, and have them just run around in random paths.
I tried this:
“First be sure you have a navmesh volume in your level.
Next drag some “Rodent_Path_Nodes” around your level where you want the animals roaming around.
Then drag in some animal NPC blueprints into your level (BP_NPC_Rabbit, BP_NPC_Rat, BP_NPC_Squirrel)
Next Build Navigation.”

That just had the rats stand there. Is there a way to do what I want explaining to a dummy like me?

Make sure the ground nodes are not too close together- at least 4000 Unreal units apart, and build navigation. Give it a try.

OK, that worked…thanks a million!

Another question, after reaching a ground node, can the rats then switch to another node to keep on moving continuously? Also they are walking, is there a way to make them run faster?

Open the Rat folder and then in the AI folder- open the Behavior Tree (Rat_BT)
In the Patrol section of the behavior tree you can disconnect the wait nodes- so they don’t stop between node changes. Also in the same section you can set the Min and Max Walk Speed. Bump those numbers up to get them running.

Wonderful!!

I was very excited to get started learning Unreal Engine. (last January) I was amazed at how much free stuff was available in the marketplace, as well as tutorials and YouTube videos to get me up and running. I was hesitant to start buying content until I got a handle on everything…well, as much as possible.

I have easily been able to follow tutorials, and make progress learning how to make environments. I wanted to populate my fields and woods with animals, the skies with birds, the lakes with fish, etc. So the first product I bought from the store was this Small Animal Pack…about 4 months ago.

Unfortunately, it’s been extremely frustrating and disappointing since then. I’m quite certain an experienced UE user can figure it out, however, I’m apparently not there yet. Without a beginning-to-end tutorial to follow, I have no idea where to begin to fix problems that crop up. I can follow a tutorial on blueprints, and get results. But being told to throw things in a level doesn’t work.

"First be sure you have a navmesh volume in your level.
Next Build Navigation."

This is pretty meaningless to a noob.

Can anyone shed any light HOW these things are supposed to be done correctly? I still have deer, bear, cattle, pigs, boar, chickens, hawks, eagles, trout, scorpions, snails and frogs to animate. I was hoping to make them all react and run away like the rabbits, rats and squirrels in this pack.

Thx…

I’m a beginner and I would like to know how to adjust the speed of each aminal? can anyone help me?

This is really cool! I’m running this in an VR for OculusGo experiment and it’s looking super cool. My question is: all of the animals seem to be running as soon as I start the level. Is there a proximity threshold that could be set to activate them when the player reaches a certain distance from them?

Hi, I’m wondering how to actually apply damage to the animals? Thanks