Rips and Tears in my NavMesh

Hello! My NavMesh has “rips” or “tears” in it. I noticed that it always happens where one tile meets another. Furthermore, my AI are getting “stuck” on these parts of my Navmesh. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!

Hey @, welcome back to the Unreal forums!

Have you tried tweaking your navmesh generation settings at all? Settings for navmesh generation can be found in Project Settings > Navigation Mesh > Generation. Try reducing the following values by 20%, in order, and let it rebuild each time; tile size, cell size, cell height, and agent radius. Check after each rebuild to see if the navmesh gap issue is resolved. Make sure you take a screenshot of your current settings in case you need to roll something back!

Here’s a screenshot of that setting location in case you have a hard time finding it.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if this solution works for you!

Hello @SkyCarCaesar !

Thank you for helping me out I greatly appreciate it. I should say that I mucked around with these settings quite a bit before posting here on the unreal forums, because they did indeed to appear to help as the cracks change every time: getting smaller but more numerous, getting larger, flatter but still there, but never really going away :disappointed: . Needless to say I wasn’t very successful with all this experimentation. :smile:

I tried what you suggested, reducing the following values by 20%, in order, and letting it rebuild each time; tile size, cell size, cell height, and agent radius. Checking after each rebuild to see if the navmesh gap issue was resolved.

Sad to say but the least noticeable I could get these things was to just change it back to the default settings! As shown here:

I wish I just had a sewing needle and thread to stich these guys together because my AI reach these cracks and cannot traverse over them.

I have tried to look up solutions to this but I fear it may be too niche or technical of a problem to be that popular.

Regardless, I will continue to mess around with these navmesh settings to see if I can banish the cracks once and for all.

Just saying I am having the same issue, unfortunately, I too have not been able to find a solution… :frowning: