Download

Rigel - Al in One Full Body Motion Capture Solution - Features Highlight

Hi all,

In this video we’re showing some of the advanced features for Rigel, our All in One Full Body Motion Capture Solution using Vive Trackers.

We’re showing how fast and easy the calibration process is, and how Rigel is able to retarget in realtime the animation data from the Vive Trackers to characters with different body size.

The Full Body Motion Capture Solution is set for release at the end of June, and a demo will be available in short time.
If you want to read more about the entire setup, here is a FAQ page.

Regards,

Nicolas Esposito

Hi Nicolas!
I’m very happy to see your matured solution for full body tracking here! Maybe you remember me from the early days of VR around here.
We have a rudimentary full body avatar solution, but maintaining it is a resource intensive task. So I’d be very glad to switch over to your solution.

However, we aim for consumers and they usually don’t have Vive trackers available.
I have two questions that I couldn’t find answers to in your FAQ:

How well does Rigel work with three point tracking (head, hands)?
How easy is it to set up replication for multiplayer environments?
How large is the delay (or how close to realtime is the tracking / what’s the minimum delay for the peak elimination feature)?

Thanks!
Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks!

To reply to your questions

How well does Rigel work with three point tracking (head, hands)?

Rigel is designed to work on Full Body, so 6 trackers minimum are required.
If you’re looking for a 3 points body tracking, @Jonas_Molgaard developed exactly what you need, you can find his plugin here.

How easy is it to set up replication for multiplayer environments?

Currently multiplayer isn’t supported, but is something I’m planning in the near future.

How large is the delay (or how close to realtime is the tracking / what’s the minimum delay for the peak elimination feature)?

As of now the setup is built using Blueprints but it’ll be converted to a C++ plugin, so in theory it will perform better.
The default delay from the trackers I think that is a couple of frames, but if you’re recording mocap you won’t even notice.
In VR the delay can be notice ( like if you move your head backwards and forwards the character head won’t catch up ), but this is something that I’m already solving by doing a “lightweight” version of the setup, since there are lots of things happening behind the scene.
The peak removal is being reworked due to a change to the core of the solution; the minimum delay is set to 60frames by default, but you can change it however you want.
Of course if the peak duration is longer then the delay, you will still see the peak since it won’t be processed accordingly.

If you have further questions feel free to ask!

Cheers,

Nicolas