Ribbon particle, dynamically controlling lifetime no fluid update?

I’m trying to ‘animate’ a ribbon particle so it slowly grows longer.
The ribbon trails behind a vehicle that is driving quite fast.
Even though I use a value that linearly increases from 0 to 1 to drive this and update it on tick, the ribbon activates, stays short and at a random time pops to its long version.

Lifetime settings

Update settings

I’ve already noticed that trying to set the lifetime from 0 to 1 doesn’t work, since a lifetime of 0 seems to mean infinite.
That is why I’m trying 0.03 to 0.6 as you can see in my ribbon settings. The spawn rate i’ve set to 90.
Short Version:

Long version which also looks buggy: choppy and as if there are 2 ribbon trails.

At a random time it can start looking like i want it and then go back to the buggy version.
Good ribbon:

To me it seems like an update problem. As if it doesn’t flag the particle system to having to change?
Anyone has any other ideas to dynamically control the length of a ribbon particle?

Hey Esther,

Thank you for submitting this post. I have reproduced this issue and logged a report for it here: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-44115)

You can track the report’s status as the issue is reviewed by our development staff. Please be aware that this issue may not be prioritized or fixed soon.

There doesn’t appear to be a simple workaround for this other than ending the ribbon trail every time you need to adjust lifetime. I know that doesn’t help your case so you may need to rely on clever material work to get the effect you want.

Cheers,

Anyone know if this has ever been fixed? I think I’m having the similar problem in UE 4.26

1 Like