Download

Rhythm-based parkour adventure game

Keep in mind this is an early prototype.

I’ve been working on an idea for an adventure game where action setpieces are rhythm-based obstacle dodging sprees instead of twitch-reaction combat. I made a quick mock-up with half a song seen below, and it felt really good.

Now I’m working on a game using this idea. The plot follows an urban explorer filming an abandoned theme park. Soon after arriving, the park comes to life and its cast of mascots oppose the main character with musical setpieces. Think of those comedy scenes in films where everyone breaks into song and dance except one guy that isn’t into it, but gets dragged into the choreography anyway.

Here is an intro setpiece I’m working on that will combine a taste of each of the lands in the park.

I’m using a master blueprint object in the level that keeps track of the music, timing and cues for the elements of the setpiece.

Assuming it progresses well, I’m going to make a short first chapter and release it to raise money to hire an animator for more involved chapters and setpieces.

2 Likes

Hello @Menelin!

Where to begin, first, I am beyond blown away by the concept of this game! Admittedly I didn’t quite understand the difference between rhythm-based obstacle dodging versus twitch-reaction combat and immediately understood when the visuals started! I think this game is going to be a hit. :star_struck:

Is Project Geekdom the name of the game? What song did you use in the “Setpiece Mockup” video?

Thank you for your feedback! It’s a big relief that the concept translates well in video and that it’s not something I like just because I’m too close to it. I’ve seen other games mash the rhythm genre with other genres (like Bullets Per Minute) and it looks fun to work with.

Yes, Geekdom is the working title for now. The setting is a Disney’s Magic Kingdom type of amusement park, with each area themed after a different geeky genre: medieval fantasy, sci-fi, superhero, etc. It’ll help give context to why everything around the main character is dancing around them. It’ll also have various styles to play with this concept in each chapter.

The song used in the second video is a free-use song from Pond5.com:
Percussion and Energy Stomps Claps ~ Music #105566015

It was my pleasure! Even in the early stages that it is in now, Geekdom looks very promising! I will definitely be following the progress of your project to see all the exciting details and insight you have in store for us. :sunglasses: :+1:

Also, thanks for linking the song used in the second video; I absolutely enjoyed listening to it and watching your game come to life!

Thank you, that’s very encouraging to hear. I’ll keep working on it in earnest.

2 Likes

—Update 12/21/21—
I’ve completed the rough draft of the opening setpiece. Each 10-second stretch of music is themed after one of 5 areas/genres of the park, then combines them in the latter half of the song.

1 Like

Wow, this sequence was wonderfully done! I know it’s just a rough draft, but it came out great! Keep up the incredible work. :sunglasses: :+1: