[REV SHARE] Looking for a writer who knows a bit of coding (enums and integers)

I have a working framework for a text-based story driven game that I am working on.
As a creative writer you will need to write out a whole lot of spreadsheets, you need basic
understanding of enums and integers to sort of write the system of the game flow
in the tables.
You will write the entire game like this, writing the format of the flow of the single
entries in a table and also the localization of it (only in english).
I aimed for quite a bunch of content, not sure how fast you can come up with stuff and
type that. I thought about a couple of weeks might be fine, hopefully not more than a
month.
The royalties are 30% of the net profit on Steam and Epic if it goes there, which is split between any writers, depending on the amount of work.

Contact me via Discord:
Jonathan / Shoesoft#8494

Cheers.

Bump, still looking.
ezgif.com-gif-maker

Sent you a DM, Discord not working at the moment. I might be very interested in this.

Hi @Shoesoft, I appreciate text-based games. I still visit IronRealms and ChoiceOfGame every now and then. Even tried writing my own CYOA. I won a writing Contest for this short story, but I don’t consider myself a good writer :slight_smile:. Both influenced my 3D game design.

Your text-based game progress looks impressive and inspiring. I do have plans to develop a Text-based RPG/MUD World using MAUI3D Text to take advantage of UnrealEngine’s Power. Considering partial development of such to drive the logic of my dialogue system for my 3D Game.

This leads me to ask are you using a custom Markup Language to embed your enums and integers within the text itself? I’ve pondered over the process in translating Story Text in to Game Dialogue, and concluded after working with HTML and Choicescript a Markup Language would be ideal. How is the Text/Enums/Integers formatted?

@RenderingFiend I wrote a mail to you.

@TechLord Thanks.
If you want to get the most out of text you should check out URichTextBlock and its functions:

I actually don’t really embed any enums in the text, as in writing that in the charts.
You could most likely do that and then parse the csv for that or have it as keys and parse the strings you get from it.

Well it needs a map of enum properties which can be looked up by the keys.

Hi @Shoesoft

If you want to get the most out of text you should check out URichTextBlock and its functions:

Thank you, however I’m using custom 3D Mesh/Materials Text Subsystem (No 2D).

I actually don’t really embed any enums in the text, as in writing that in the charts.
You could most likely do that and then parse the csv for that or have it as keys and parse the strings you get from it. Well it needs a map of enum properties which can be looked up by the keys.

Hmm. So the Writer Programmer has to manually associate datatable/struct/csv to chart/text? Manual cross referencing numbers with data is extremely tedious and I would try avoiding at all cost. As the story gets larger, so will the task of bookkeeping.

You may have easier time translating/cross referencing using a ‘Name’ datatype which is special datatype that can be human-readable word compiled to an integer value behind the scenes. UnrealEngine is the only software I’ve dealt with that has provisions for this datatype.

I do like the idea of using flowcharts for drawing out the dialogue branches. But I would also be seeking a means to automate whatever I needed to only require only drawing loading charts. Curious how you creating Charts.

I have a couple of systems in charts but the basic answer stuff works like this:
You have the key for your text + caption in some localization chart with the text.
Then you have a chart that associates answer keys with entry keys.
It looks somewhat like this:
Key
1_home-kitchen
Answers
{A;1_home-kitchen-fridge}
{B;1_home-kitchen-window}
{C;1_home-hallway}

I also can pass conditional and set parameters to those answers like this.
{A;1_myanswer;(ThisEnumHasToBeA;A),(ThisEnumHasToBeNone;N);(ThisIntegerHasToBeLessThan3;L;3);(ThisEnumWillBeSetToA;A);(ThisIntegerWillBeIncreasedBy1;I;1)}

Then the answer key is used on the localization chart.

1 Like

Looks like Markup to me. LOL. Fantastic. Looks like you already have a Writer Programmer. If you can find a means to collaborate, you may be able to bring on several writers simultaneously. I’m taking multiplayer collaboration into consideration. I modified a chat subsystem to achieve a prototype. Something to consider.

2 Likes