Return to Castle Wolfenstein E1L1 Remake - Unreal Engine 4 - Feedback Welcome!

Hello everyone, just some screenshots of the current UE4 project I am working on, a fully playable recreation of the first level from Return to castle Wolfenstein. I will continue to post on this. I also a playlist of YouTube video’s which show the progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIis05qzFgA&list=PLkqGvJs-ii8ld5NtOOMa8-Jr6vQ9HH7hD&index=7&ab_channel=ChrisChris

5 Likes

This is looking cool man! I’d love to play on this level :slight_smile:

One thing though, the screenshots 002 and 017 have some really red lights that seems unnatural for a torch. I think if rise the temperature you’ll get a more natural look to it.

Way to go man !

1 Like

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. Those aren’t torches, those are actual red lights.

1 Like

it’s beautiful

1 Like

Carried out some overall lighting tweaks to the level getting rid of the brightness and correcting lighting in the relevant areas as well as extra detail. Take this example of the first area.

2 Likes

UPDATES:

• Added detail a lot of area’s that were missing it.
  • Improved lighting around the map
  • Major optimisation passes
  • Added SFX to area’s
  • Blocking volumes to boundary the map
  • Scripted events added, e.g. doors opening/closing etc.
  • Added Level End credit exit screen
  • Added Level Start screen
  • Added post processing effects

TODO:

• Level Soundtrack (To change soundtrack at certain points)
  • Further optimisations
  • Minor Lighting tweaks
  • Enemies
  • Weapon/Item pickups followed by Testing and amendments
  • Major final level test to fix anything not working as it should
  • Production Lighting build.
  • Package and release.

Here are some screenshots of some areas with more detail. Backgrounds are the most notable, egg mountains are now visible in the distance and visible in the area’s that have windows.

Thanks,

1 Like

your doing the whole game right? including cutscenes and etc?

No this is just going to be a playable remake of the first level. It’s all for non commercial and entertainment purposes as well as something for my portfolio etc, plus helps to build skills in areas. To remake the whole game I would 1. need more people than myself and 2. Require permission from the publisher. Without it I would most likely be shut down quick like all people who attempt remakes of games blindly. Metal gear solid and resident evil 2 for example.

understandable. defiantly need permissions. i see.

good to know.

UPDATES:

• Made some big texture changes to the environment
  • Added a lot more overall further details to all area’s of the map
  • Added more German/War related items to make it feel more “German”
  • Added flags that blow with the wind
  • Added additional backgrounds
  • Improved lighting across entire map, the relevant area’s are now more darker.
  • Sky and weather are now more intense and darker
  • Lightning will now strike more frequently to add to the effect of a storm
  • Changed landscape material to look more wet from the rain
  • Updated Loading screen
  • Updated credit screen
  • Improvements to soundtrack so music now fades in and out when changing
  • Improved post processing effects
  • Lots of optimisation

T0DO:

• Weapon and item pickups
  • Enemy and AI Setup
  • Combat setup

I want to hopefully have this released in 1 month or so, if anyone who knows blueprints would like to help out give me a shout.

Thanks

Some in-game screenshots.

• Added additional detail to most parts of the level
  • Implemented functional weapons, pickups and health
  • Implemented UI/HUD
  • Improved overall lighting
  • Finalised level soundtrack
  • Implemented Interact - Press E to open doors for example.
  • Made exterior look more wet
  • Added detail to castle rooftop
  • Added drips from roofs to match the rain falloff
  • Added tower gate to the exterior that opens with a switch
  • Started working on electricity switch in the doctors room
  • Added cob webs to hallway towards the end of the level
  • Added SFX throughout the map
  • AI/Enemies are almost complete and will be added to the level shortly.

TODO:

• Finalise AI and fully implement enemy placement into the map
  • Setup culling to fully optimise the level
  • Setup a basic main menu/pause screen
  • Setup death = restart level or a possible save system
  • Create and set up physical materials to provide specific footstep sounds e.g. concrete and grass footsteps
  • Finalise movement speed (walk speed/sprint speed)
  • Add player damage SFX
  • Setup random one liner node for German

enemies once implemented

Here is a simple walkthrough of the level.

1 Like

I’ve also set up a donations page on my website under the contact me section that can go towards funding the project, with donations it will help to bring it to life quicker and of course more awesome.

Thanks for the support.

https://www.christophersewell-leveldesign.com/contact-me

Hi, this is so kool. good job.
Can you expaling How you made the levels, did you use a Modular approach? if so how did you make the pieces, figure out how many pieces you need, how they connect to each other, gird settings and sizes for snapping etc.

Looks good :relaxed:

1 Like

Looking amazing, love it!!

1 Like

Hello @Bobsy95 !

Das ist der “Wolfenstein”, den ich am anfang gerne gespielt hätte!

Yikes! A. Maze. Zing! The lighting and sound effects add so much more depth to the game! It feels much more immersive! The idea of adding more German propaganda contributes more realism. The textures and intricate details you incorporated are nothing short of impressive and does so much in displaying a great homage to Wolfenstein and a high quality improvement on the original! Were you motivated to create this remake by what you saw lacking in the original, or were you motivated by a chance to build upon your skills?

Hello, thanks for the feedback. I’ve always wanted to recreate the first level in UE4, I did make a small attempt with UE3 but the engine just didn’t cut it anymore, I was at the time transitioning to UE4 already. My idea was to to recreate the entire level, keeping the initial core path but changing some areas slightly to bring them up to date and be more modern whilst trying not to stray away from the original atmosphere etc.

I also decided to use rain and thunder as opposed to the snow, I felt like the thunder flashes worked very very well, especially showing a brief lighting flash of the entire castle, it really does provide depth and a feeling of escaping a German castle. I felt the snow made things feel too calm. For example, when you leave the tower the music changes to a more intense soundtrack, this mixed with thunder, rain really works to create an intense gameplay experience.

1 Like

Hello,

The entire level layout is modular, literally everything. I love working with modular sets as it allows me to use the same assets in a variety of different ways, something the average player probably wouldn’t notice either. Grid settings of course do change depending on the areas, most wall pieces are 300x300 so i can use multiple of these to of course alter the sizes of the room. In some areas, I manipulated the textures to make some brickwork texture scales 50% less. This works well in smaller areas, it provides a more claustrophobic feel. e.g. the start of the level - dungeon/cells area.

One of my favourite games is getting a remake. I am so excited for this project.

So its been a while since i’ve posted any updates, I took a little time off from this. However, the good news is i’m right back at it. I’ve refined some areas of the later stages of the level, i’ve increased the overall gameplay space and added some new areas to add further depth to the areas which make a huge difference, the biggest being the last room at the end of the level which is currently being worked on. Once this is finalised, all areas and spacing for the level are complete. I will then complete some huge detailing passes across the full level, change the lighting (its currently place holder) and implement gameplay and interactivity and enemies to fight. Then if all is well i’ll release it to be played.

• Increased ceiling height in table room, added balcony where enemies will be placed which reduces flatness and increases overall depth of the room. Added some minor details also.

• Added more depth to the hallway with the knights, the knights are now pushed further back, there is also a balcony at one side of the room. Increased depth significantly changes the overall atmosphere.

• Final area is completely changed, new architecture and a longer hallway, this is a WIP. The space on the far right side will be a small area where you can pick some items up before ending the level.

• WIP - hand/weapons will no longer clip through objects when too close, the hand will raise up like in a lot of modern games.

1 Like