Return to Castle Wolfenstein E1L1 Remake - Unreal Engine 4 - Feedback Welcome!

Hi Bobsy95!

Life happens and we have to step away from our passion projects sometimes. I hope all is well! Welcome back!

It’s apparent that you have given this level a lot more thought. Thank you for sharing your amazing work with us through these latest screenshots! You have certainly scaled the grandiosity of the castle in an incredible way! The atmosphere is as fitting as it is beautiful - setting the tone for the danger that will lie ahead. Your attention to detail remains remarkable, and I look forward to your release! What inspired you to make these latest improvements?

Thank you!

I have broken down the level into 3 distinct areas, the level start all the way to the tower that leads to the exterior, the exterior itself and the final area which is the lower levels of the castle. Previously, I had to finalised the geometry for the first two areas but felt the final area wasn’t up to the par with the other two. Therefore, after taking another look I was able view it from a fresh pair of eyes and decided to redesign some of those areas, adding more depth and interesting environments, those areas are now more interesting and really do add to the overall aesthetics of the castle, the new additions really do help to create an atmosphere that makes it feel like a real castle rather than a level with rooms that link etc. For example, I extended the final area which adds very little in terms of time spent in the level but hopefully people appreciate it. The archway on the right will lead to a small room with a table and a window to look out to the open landscapes, ocean and lightning weather and so on.

Here is my reference.

1 Like

Updates:

Finalised the layout for the end of the level in terms of geometry. Still needs some materials changing, props adding and lighting etc. Instead of just a boring door to walk through you can now look at the cool interesting architecture and look out to the vast landscapes with distant thunder. There is also a cool room on the right which I will use to add a table and some other German stuff. Most recently I finished the foliage (rocks, grass and trees outside the windows)

I also implemented some rain splines to add the effect of rain dripping off objects

There is much more to come. Here is my list of tasks to complete to get this finished.

• Major detail passes

• Add more German WW2 related props and details

• Add further ambient and generic SFX

• Implement physical materials (footsteps etc)

• Improve FPS Character

• Add player damage SFX

• Implement AI (German Soldiers/Enemies)

• Implement further interactivity

• Improve siren SFX

• Improve level soundtrack

• Finalise Outdoor weather (sky is too bright)

• Fix world lighting (currently its placeholder, I want it more realistic and darker)

• Balance gameplay e.g. item pickups

• Create main menu and interface (currently placeholder)

• Create level intro (currently placeholder)

• Migrate from Unreal Engine 4 to Unreal Engine 5

4 Likes

Hi Bobsy95, my full gratitude to you! one spell - rtcw in our hearts! went through so many times) dark tremendous atmosphere full of unknown horrors instead new games full of inappropriate pop standarts and stupid funny.
I myself worked as a level designer and imagine how difficult it is to develop and expand this remake in every sense.
Looking forward for working build and definitely will give feedback.
Cheers:)

This looks great. This was one of my favorite shooter games back in the days.
I love games with this old school feeling.
Maybe creating such kind of games is now also possible for an one man army dev with UE5.
Keep up the good work. Can´t wait to test it.

1 Like