request UVless and Lightmapless Light Baking System for UE4 [ Like Unigine ]

Unigine key changes : Voxel GI solution, which doesn’t require UV mapping

The last thing that finally convinced me to choose this engine is the light baking system. Here you do not need a second channel for the lightmap or even the first channel with UV. Unigine uses voxels to bake light, so you can even take a model from some CAD software and bake light on it without the slightest additional manipulations. You just need to put the Voxel Probe in the scene, define the capture zone and press one button.

I really liked the result of light baking. I made a few tests in different engines with the same block model of the hangar and only in Unigine I did not receive any artifacts.

No black spots at the intersections of geometry, no light leaks. I knew how to fix these artifacts in other engines, but I didn’t want to waste my time on this because there was still a huge amount of more important work ahead. So that’s how I chose Unigine for our project.

https://cdn.80.lv/80.lv/uploads/2019/01/6-1024x443.png

https://cdn.80.lv/80.lv/uploads/2019/01/Screens-2-1024x439.png

https://cdn.80.lv/80.lv/uploads/2019/01/Screen-1.png

https://cdn.80.lv/80.lv/uploads/2019/01/Screen-2-1024x439.png

**The last thing that finally convinced me to choose this engine is the light baking system. Here you do not need a second channel for the lightmap or even the first channel with UV. Unigine uses voxels to bake light, so you can even take a model from some CAD software and bake light on it without the slightest additional manipulations. You just need to put the Voxel Probe in the scene, define the capture zone and press one button.

I really liked the result of light baking. I made a few tests in different engines with the same block model of the hangar and only in Unigine I did not receive any artifacts.

No black spots at the intersections of geometry, no light leaks. I knew how to fix these artifacts in other engines, but I didn’t want to waste my time on this because there was still a huge amount of more important work ahead. So that’s how I chose Unigine for our project.**

there is not any epic developer to answer me ?
is it possible to have easy & uvless baking system in ue4 ?

I am not an Epic developer, but if you have ever used VXGI in UE4 it is voxel based, of course dynamic only. I read somewhere from an nVidia dev that VXGI could be modified to bake lightmaps in aforementioned way, in seconds. It would require hooking it in to lightmass code or maybe a custom shader and baking to render targets? One would have to do alot of digging into sourcecode…

I am sure DXR will have a way to bake down juicy lightmaps in no time.

I wouldn’t expect to hear much about the future of the engine until GDC (March 18-22). Epic is surely working on lighting and rendering features.

I’m willing to bet this technique falls apart in scenes with low detail and ends up looking splotchy. It looks like you have to lookup the voxels at runtime for each pixel, so this isn’t really static lighting. It also means increased runtime cost and most likely more shader permutations. It’s an approximate approach, it’ll never be able to achieve the same quality as lightmapping.

Epic have already released their first RTX implementation in 4.22, I don’t think they’ll be investing much time into baked lighting anymore given the industry is trying to shift towards the holy grail of dynamic lighting - even if that tech is still a ways of from being mainstream.

as you say vxgi is only dynamic
but unigine can bake with voxel technology
the bad thing about dxr is its limitation with hardwares (only rtx cards) so it will not useful for all comunity

the lightmap creation is the shitttt part of working with unreal
because materials and geometry will transfer with datasmith easily but lightmapsssssssssssss:mad::mad::mad::mad:

this render baked with unigine software
with voxel technology without lightmaps
its quality is good and this tech can improved by epic developers

in this method we can have both day and night with single baking
not like unreal and bake 2 times for lighting scenarios

Most likely they will not be pursuing that direction for lighting since they’re putting a lot of effort into raytracing. Both methods have limited users right now, but raytracing has more of a future.

i know raytracing is most important tech for gaming industry

but architectural visualization need highest lighting quality

dxr is noisy and long way to be stable

but baking has highest quality and we are not worry about fps & …

it will be amazing if one day we can bake lighting in unreal without lightmaps
it will be amazing if one day we can bring cad object diractly to ue4 without creating lightmap in 3d max

Mitsuba can compute global illumination solutions in scenes containing large isotropic or anisotropic participating media. The underlying volumes can be represented as sparse **voxel **octrees or as hierarchical grids, where grid cells are directly mapped from files into memory.

Voxel probes need expensive supportive features to deal with omnipresent bleeding. While not requiring any pre-processing whatsoever is a major factor in arch and industrial visualization, the benefits end right there. My vouch is for DXR lightmaps instead.

we can have both [dxr] and [voxel baking]
instead of [lpv] and [old lightmass]

half of world are using amd graphics
and most of nvidia users like me[gtx 1060]dont have rtx card

how it can be useful ??

DXR works on any DX12 card I believe, but RTX cards have dedicated hardware to make it run faster.

The pre-release of the first version of Unreal Engine 4 (back in 2012) had Sparse Voxel Octree lighting but it was too expensive for practical use in games

“The key differentiating factor between last year’s demo and this newer iteration is that the Sparse Voxel Octree Global Illumination (SVOGI) lighting system hasn’t made the cut. Instead, Epic is aiming for very high quality static global illumination with indirect GI sampling for all moving objects, including characters.”

your answer is here

its only working with rtx cards

we have 2 Sparse Voxel method
baking and dynamic mode

if dynamic Sparse Voxel is expensive so how cry engine 5 is using this tech for hunt showdown ???

but my main request is baked Sparse Voxel and this will not expensive and everything will bake !!!