Reporting Issues for Documentation

Page on collections is incomplete.

Unreal Engine 4.7.5
It’s a little difficult to use collections if they don’t appear on the Interface by default. Collections have to be enabled first but it’s not obvious how to do it, and the instructions aren’t included.

1. Goto content browser
  2. click on View Options
  3. Click on “Show Collections”

I suppose it’s worth noting that View options lets you enable other panels as well, but this isn’t declared either as far as I can tell. 's all the content on “View Options”

3 View Options Contains a thumbnail size slider, the view style selection for assets, and the ability to preview and modify the thumbnails of 3D assets.

Page on collections is incorrect. This is not a repeat.
Unreal Engine 4.7.5

I found information on the collections page that is incorrect.

“Creating a Collection is as easy as right-clicking within the Collections panel and entering a name for the new Collection.”

If I right click on on the collections panel, nothing happens. I have to use the Plus icon.

< Update >
Right clicking to create a collection works AFTER a collection has been created using the plus icon.
If you delete all collections, then the right click creating of collections will go back to not working.

Migrating Assets - Documentation Incorrect
Engine Version - 4.7.5

This is a quick fix.

1. Find “Right-click on any of the selected assets and choose Migrate from the context menu.” in the page

2. Change it to “Right-click on any of the selected assets and choose Asset Actions >> Migrate from the context menu.”

Engine version: 4.7.5

Detailed description of the issue: Out of date information. This documentation article below:

does not contain information on adding new state machines within states, thereby creating hierarchical state machines. Thread discussion .

Screenshots:

Additional info that is helpful: Hierarchical state machines exists for animations. (See image above, where the golden highlighted box is represented by the opened tabs.)

Engine Version: 4.7.5

Page

Heading
Using the Replace References Tool > Invoking the Replace References Tool

Current:
Afterwards, right-click, and within the context menu that appears, click “Replace References.”

New:
Afterwards, right-click, and within the context menu that appears, click “Asset Actions” and then “Replace References.”

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up !
I added in a note on that page that will let 's know that since the Collections tab is not available by default where it is located to be turned on! :slight_smile:

Thanks again !
Added in a few additional points to the section on the Collections page about adding the first Collection using the “add a collection” icon.

Made this fix/edit on the Migrating Assets page.
Thanks again !!

Question: Do “missing information” counts as “out-of-date information”?

Put in a request to get this page updated.
Thanks for the feedback !

Something is missing

Page

That link should take you directly to the heading in question.

's my question.
Where is the FixupRedirects Commandlet, and how do I use it?

Answering that in the documentation would be helpful.

Regards,

it could be depending on the situation I suppose. example: tool had a major update/additional feature added in 4.7 and then the documentation is thus now out-of-date due to certain key features not being documented. I would say though just say there is missing information. I will be able to put in requests either way though :slight_smile:

Hey !
I will put in a request to get this section expanded to have more clarification for users.

As always, thanks for the help!

Ah okay. You may want to clarify “missing information” in the first post of this thread.

Detailed description of the issue: Formatting issue. I had to ask someone else what the strings are. For me, they looked like lines of code you would add to an INF or INI text file. I was told those strings are file paths in the File Explorer for different operating systems. I could suggest that the names for the root folder for UE4 and Visual Studio 2013 not be named like codes, and be it like full names instead.

Screenshots:

Additional info that is helpful: Thread .

Hey !
thanks for the feedback on this. I can see how visually this could be confusing. So I put in a request to have it looked at and see if visually it can be changed for better clarification or just more info to explain what is being done with these files.

Article link: FVector::HeadingAngle | Unreal Engine Documentation

Detailed description of the issue: Information not clear or easy to understand; vague; easy to misinterpret. Suppose you have both a cube mesh and a sphere mesh, what would the heading angle be represented if given a default direction vector? If we can determine the direction vector for both mesh cases, we would require a diagram to picture what the heading angle is, what the heading angle represents in relation to the direction vector, and what it would be with a picture. Reading the text itself doesn’t help me picture what a heading angle will be when given a direction vector. Even more confusing would be that given a direction vector of XYZ, (1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f), does that mean the heading angle is a value 0.0f in which the direction vector is pointing down in the world scene? I don’t recall positive X being pointing downwards, otherwise it would give me a picture that heading angle is basically the Pitch of a rotation.

Screenshots: N/A.

Additional info that is helpful: Would prefer a diagram to show what a heading angle is like.

Has this been logged/resolved?

Has this also been logged?

Article link: Draw Debug Arrow | Unreal Engine Documentation

Detailed description of the issue: Missing descriptions for each of the parameters.

Screenshots: N/A.

Additional info that is helpful: Don’t know if you want all documentation articles/references that are just missing descriptions or not.

This has been logged/requested to be updated to get the missing descriptions added into the API.