Repeated Crashing on Mesh Edit in UE 5.1.1

Hi, I’m experiencing repeated crashes in UE 5.1.1
The crash happened first in editor when I tried to reimport a mesh from a new file. This now happens with most meshes on import or transform. I did import a cube with no immediate crash. The problem applies to my scene and also a new scene created with the Third Party Template in 5.1.1. I tested a scene in 5.0.3 and did not experience the crash.

I appreciate help figuring this one out.

Specs
Intel(R) Core™ i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition Windows 11 Home

GPU
NVIDIA GEForce RTX 2070 Super
Memory 8 GB GDDR6
Studio Drivers

Error following transform, delete, and sometimes navigating the scene.

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000023dd77b05d0

nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
D3D12Core
D3D12Core
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

I deleted the derived data cache folder hoping it was a corrupt cache.

I also reset the Nvidia grapic card settings to default.

That did not help.

Hey there @tea-hot! Welcome back to the community!

This references a graphics DLL most of the time, and since it’s functioning in 5.0.3 and not in 5.1.1 it’s safe to assume this may be an issue between the GPU drivers and DX12/Sm6.6.

Since you’d already swapped down to studio drivers, I don’t have to reference that they are regularly more stable. You’d also already reset the GPU settings, and cleared the cache so that’s good.

A couple questions/things to try:

Quick double check the drivers are up to date.

What Anti-Aliasing are you using for the project? Try swapping that around in the Project Settings (or just setting it to none) and seeing how everything runs.

Does swapping down to DX11 relieve it? (This can help verify the issue and also be a temporary workaround)

One user that had a particularly resistant issue like this solved it:

Another batch of possible workarounds/solutions from a previous thread:

Hello SupportiveEntity, thank you for the in-depth response. It’s very much appreciated.

I think I fixed the problem. *** EDIT this may have helped but not fixed the problem ***

My Manual Auto Complete List Index Command did not match my default RHI. Since that setting is at the engine/platform level it affected everything…ouch.

If it begins crashing again, I will update my Studio Graphics Drivers, and begin ruling out the other options. I hope I don’t need to. Thanks again.

Unfortunately, that didn’t fix it. It has however been much better behaved since I made the change, only crashing once.

Updating drivers.

Dropping to DX11 is more of a workaround to keep working in the meantime, as the environmental issue causing the crash is still present. I’d say definitely try to update the drivers (maybe a fresh install incase there were corrupted portions). After that, definitely try out Graeme’s solution, as that’s solved it for a few users (while being annoying if you use their game ready drivers but if you’re on studio already shouldn’t be too big of a deal). Let me know how it goes!

Since updating the drivers, it has worked flawlessly. I was one version behind on the Studio Drivers. I appreciate the help, thanks!