Rendering with sequencer is too bright

I have a scene that is set up in sequencer that uses a CineCamera as well as a Post Process Volume to tweak the look of a animation sequence.

In the view port it looks great (screen shot below), however, when I try to render the sequence out using either “Movie Render Queue” or “Sequencer Recorder”, the renders are over twice as bright as the view-port (See rendered image below)?

Can anyone tell me why this is? I have messed with all the post process settings in both the camera and the post process volume, and even deleted both, but I still get a blown out render?

1 Like

I have a similar problem, either the scene is underexposed or it is overexposed. In addition, I have a problem with the camera frame. Movie Render Queue does not completely cover the viewport. I use a camera imported from Corona Render in the project because it holds camera shift. Maybe that’s the reason.

Could it be Auto Exposure settings for the camera?

1 Like

No, I have that turned off.

I did just create a new project and migrated my level to it which showed up too bright in the editor as well as the render, so I think the bright version is the correct one and the editor is wrong.

Is any AO enabled?

Sort of, it’s turned on, but toggling it on and off doesn’t seem to make a difference. I’m sure when I first turned it on, it did make a difference.

I also noticed, if I’m not looking through the Cine Camera, but select it, I get the small camera view in the window, which is blown out as well.

I’m now trying to re-build the scene in a new project and see if it happens again. So far everything seems ok, but I haven’t got too far into it yet.

I was asking about AO because there’s one or two settings that if the value is modified too much (up or down depending on the setting), it brightens the scene / shadows. It could also be in conjunction with other settings that the AO is rendering too bright, so trying to modify those settings could return the scene to a more normal lighting. I suggest checking the in-depth page on AO to see which settings are applicable.

I might have found the problem. When using sequencer and a Cine Camera, it has a lot of the same settings the post process volume has, but it seems the camera settings work when rendering a scene, while the post process volume works on the real time display.

I noticed this when starting a new scene and switching the post process Exposure to manual and tweaking the camera settings. Only the rendered sequences got the changes, but tweaking the same settings in the post process volume changed the display in the editor.

It looks like my main problem was not having the viewport type set to cinematic viewport which seems to show what is rendered instead of the real time view.

So the brightened scene helped learn setting up the scene for cine camera and sequencer by noticing the differences lol…that’s cool. When referring to the post process volume, is it the default post process volume that’s in a template level or new level? or is it a PPV that’s loaded in along with the cine camera or sequencer?

I started with a blank scene so I added the post process volume myself not knowing it doesn’t seem to talk to the Cine Camera.

This project is just a test to see if UE4 could be used as a renderer. Personally I know UE4 quite well, but only for games and I’ve never used it as a animation renderer before.

I read about the movie renderers for the first time several days ago, so I’m really attempting to assist with knowledge of other areas of the engine. One thing I keep reading about is color space, which is there’s linear, and at least 1 or 2 others. Those I don’t understand yet and not sure if they’d be affecting the render output in terms of brightness so intensely.

Does this have something to do with being able to set the Capture Gamut in the Sequencer, but that option doesn’t appear in the Movie Render Queue

I was getting over bright images when rendering out and banging my head against this problem for days, I solved it by changing settings in my CineCameraActor.

In Lens > Exposure, I checkmarked “Metering Mode” and set it to Manual. I then checkmarked “Exposure Compensation” and set that much lower. In my case -5 worked.
My rendered image was now similar to what I was seeing in the viewport. Not exact, but at least workable.

While these settings made the final image look decent, all the passes look UNDER exposed.
For render passes, I duplicated the CineCameraActor and set its Exposure Compensation to +3.5.
Again, this setting may vary for your project.

I still don’t know what Unreal thinks a VFX workflow is supposed to be, but maybe this helps whoever reads this.

1 Like

I’ve been experience this as well. Seems to be a continuing bug between versions, since 4.26 is also displaying white thumbnails.

I tried the Lens > Exposure trick above, and even exposing down to -10, the thumbnails only generate a white image.

I am using out-of-the-box CineCamera actors, no blueprints or other scripting that would interfere with the intended usage.

you should choose “game” template rather than “film”

or you need to comment “r.ReflectionCaptureResolution” out in “DefaultEngine.ini”

Oh wow. If it was a snake it would’ve bit me. Thanks!

Oh wow. If it was a snake it would’ve bit me. Thanks!

Hey please how can i solve that @Bender2016 @Gnimmel im beginner please can you tell me step by step please

Select camera, in details → Post Process → Exposure
Turn on Metering and set it to manual
Turn on exposure compensation
Turn on Min and max brightness and set both to 1.
Now adjust the exposure compensation to what looks correct. Key it in sequencer.