Rendering on mobile phone.

hello everyone , I wanted to create an interactive character in my mobile phone game.

Who can answer my 7 questions as simply please?
I need those information to make a choice on the engine part.
Pay attention. this game is one character only.

1.Whether or not the unreal engine 4 can support material-father-instance on the mobile platform?

2.Whether to support the SSS-skin-render materials on mobile platform?

3.dose the loading time of the launch faster than the unity3d engine?

4.How about the compatibility between different Mobile phone ? such as graphics rending , display card. other hardware like SONY NOKIA etc. especially the android system phones.

5.Can I make the size of game install package within 30 MB?
( one character only but High-Q)

6.On the mobile platform,dose the Unreal 4 engine can support many dynamic lightnings with shadow ?

1. dose the Normal-map effect looks same as PC?

many thanks!

I can answer for some questions =)

1. Material instances work fine on mobile, and even more, they’re recomended for same materials
  2. Heavy rendering things are not fully supported, I belive SSS is still unsuported by mobile
  3. Don’t know
  4. Here are compabily lists and etc for android: A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums
    Android Support for Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation
    and for iOS: A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums
    iOS, iPadOS, and tvOS Development Requirements for Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation
    I can say that games with simple lightning and simple materials run great even on low end devices. Older UE4.4.3 has wider support of low end devices than new 4.5.1
  5. Don’t know, in my case UE4.4.3 empty game takes ~80Mb without optimization
  6. Don’t know, but you should remember that quality of mobile dynamic lightning is low anyway in most cases
  7. No It looks worse, here’s my screenshot:

UPDATE: TappyChicken takes 25 Mb after some optimizations as says this page A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums

thank you Mr.Happy.
very detailed. especially those links.

the picture is very clearly answer also.

Though this difference in the image is the render resolution, not anything to do with normal maps.

For me, textures in UE4 mobile look surprisingly bad, especially after my-love-UDK.
BTW made screen with higher resolution (UE4.4.3 iPodTouch4):

And now look how same model rendered with UDK on same device:

UDK has better quality and higher FPS, but … UE4 has more perpectives in future

I think you double posted this, thread. And MrHappy gave better answers than me. :smiley:

Yup, i deleted other topic, double post.

Again, of course it looks bad, you’re testing at half the resolution.

What do you mean saying that? 640x960 is a full resolution for 4th Touch, textures: dissuse,normal and spec are same everywhere, they have resolution 512x512, 512x512 and 256x256.