Rendering issues

The ProtoStar demo is what convinced me to buy a S7 and to get the GearVR and the demos ont he store are pretty good, and the reason why I’m using UE4 is my complete lack of programming knowlegde ( thank god for BPs! ) so I was waiting for something good to happen but I’m still waiting…

I don’t want to use Unity at all…it’s better optimized for VR creation and there are some good tutorials on it, but I want to stick with UE4 now and in the future…

I was expecting Epic to put someone on GearVR development for the community…I really appreciate Sam, Wes and Chris for the videos and the support, but I really think they need to hire someone who knows the hardware and that could at least give proper support just on the GearVR and the development with UE4…

I really hope to see the GearVR Wishlist cleared soon, and I really hope that Vulkan will solve 99% of the issue we’re having right now with mobile development :slight_smile:

ProtoStar was not a VR demo. It was to show off what UE4 can do with Vulkan API on S7.

I am sure the list will be cleared and Vulkan will provide nice visuals and better performance (in certain cases), but the question is when. Especially because Vulkan is only going to happen with Android N is out and devices get update. I am with S6 and I am already keeping my fingers crossed.

Either way, I’d like Epic to comment on these issues (HISMC and foliage rendering issues on mobile).

I forgot to add that it wasn’t in GearVR, but I was super-impressed by the demo and I still can’t believe it’s running on a phone.

They said they were going to release the Protostar demo soon, but has been quite a while and nothing happened…I tried to ask to Sam and Chris but no answer about that.

I really hope to see some nice improvements soon :slight_smile:

Meanwhile the GearVR sub-forum will be flooded with questions :smiley:

4.12.4 fix is out! Can we please get some response to this and foliage rendering issues with Gear VR ?

Alright, foliage renders with 4.12, but both foliage and HISMCs render pitch black with static lighting.

If directional light is set to stationary, they render fine. The problem is that stationary lights don’t produce lightmaps. I’d have to enable distance field shadows and I bet that will bog performance down.

It also seems that performance with 4.12 is generally down compare to 4.11. Maybe because of the foliage actors. Will check without them.

thanks fer these updates…

Np :slight_smile: I was hoping to hear something from Epic. Maybe tomorrow.

Btw, I generated distance field shadows, but still didn’t see any shadows in the scene (all actors were static). Even in PIE. Totally sucks. Ditching HISMCs and foliage until all this resolved on Epic’s side :confused:

Motorsep… All said and done have you seen any problem with landscape sections having edges visible… ?

It happens, with lower quality lighting and lower res lightmaps. It doesn’t bother me much.