Rendering Footage with in-game Videos

Hi,

My issue is I’m trying to render my level via sequencer which all works fine and as intended, however all video files playing in my level play much faster than they should. I already know this is to do with the game engine and the media framework not running in parallel, so when rendering through sequencer the lag caused doesn’t also affect anything media related, causing them to fall out of sync. I’ve hit this issue before in the past and fixed it using a ‘set rate’ node following the ‘open source’ node and tried to find the sweet spot, which did work…but barely and feels far too hacky. In this instance I’ve got a multitude of videos and waiting to see if the rate I’ve set is right is painstaking.

The only way I can see around this is to create a function that can dynamically affect the play rate of the videos taking information from the engine speed via a float variable. Trouble is I haven’t got the faintest idea of where to start to extract that data from.

If anyone has come across this issue and defeated it, or if you know how to do the proposed method above work I would really appreciate it! I’m sure many people have had this issue before and would love to know how to get around it.

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

If you convert your in-game videos into image sequences and control the playback of the Media Player using Sequencer you will have better luck with them staying in sync on their own. Using Image Sequences lets seeking within a video be more accurate (video codecs are often not precise when asked to seek to specific times), and controlling the Media Player from Sequencer will allow Sequencer to re-seek to the right time each time it starts to render a frame.