Download

Rendering A Spherical Panorama

Is there a way to render a spherical panorama?

Not directly as hardware rasterizers tend to only do rectilinear projections.

However the usual method to get a spherical panorama would be to render a cubemap and then using an image editor that supports panoramic projections to combine the cubemap’s faces into a single panorama. This is probably also what unreal does internally with the spherical reflection capture actors.

Thanks. My hope is to take an existing complex Unreal scene and capture a camera as a panorama. Perhaps with the capture cube actor. Then take that texture and wrap it on a sphere or cube in another level within Unreal. The thought is that I can get a low-end immersive presentation that I can then build to a mobile device. Essentially, a node based point and click panorama.

In that case it’s even easier: just use the cubemap directly. Most other spherical projections are less space efficient or have severe pinching at the poles which you have to carefully handle.

@Arnage Hi and sorry, I am novice of UE and of the forum. I am also interested in render a panorama on a spherical projection, but render to a cube map, as Arnage says, will be good…
Do you can provide some link to learn how to do??

Thank you
All the best
:wink:

The best place to start is the documentation, specifically here:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/Types/Textures/Cubemaps/index.html

Without more detail on what you want to achieve and where you are encountering problems it’s kind of hard to help more specifically.