Download

Render to Texture Realtime Reflections?

So i have searched around and didn’t see any ask or answer this so i figured i would post this hoping someone would know the answer.

In UDK you could use a **SceneCaptureReflectActor **rendered to a **RenderTarget **to get realtime reflections, since UE4 doesnt support ScreenSpace Reflections on translucent materials i wanted to use the RenderTarget method instead but when i set it up the same way i did in UDK the reflection is just static and i noticed that the **ScreenPosition **node does not have a **ScreenAlign **option anymore so is it still possible to capture realtime reflections via an Actor rather than having to rely on the ScreenSpace Reflections?

Here is a screengrab f the setup i used in UDK that worked perfectly for reference

http://c-mediasolutions.com/share/refudk.jpg

I forgot to mention that i can get the reflection to work in realtime but it’s not tied to the reflection vector so it just renders the reflection to the texture without moving it around dependent on view angle or space, it basically just acts like a closed circuit camera rather than a reflective surface.

The way this was done in UDK was with a special scene capture component that implemented a planar reflection by placing the camera appropriately and setting up a clip plane. I don’t think that functionality exists anymore. It’s something we would like to add though.

Ahh, ok, so for the time being there is no work around to get real-time reflections to work on transparent materials, maybe even via BluePrint?

Thanks for the help!

Im looking for the same solution here. Its important for ArchViz.

I am having this issue as well (trying to make a mirror that supports moving objects like the player or enemies). Actually, it doesnt look like the SceneCapture2DActor changed or the render2D target. Its more that there is no way to make it work like expected in the material (basically what CharlestonS mentioned, the reflection has no parallax depending on the camera position).

So is this a bug for the screenpos node or is this expected behavior? Actually I think it should just work when you plug it in like this: scenecapture2DTex UV input <–componentmask (RG) <–reflection vector. However, there is a seam in the middle of the captured content and I was not able to get rid of it. But the sampled scene in the rendertarget looks just fine. So i think its just something not really working in the material.

Hopefully someone could shed some light into this :slight_smile:

Same issue here. It looks like it is possible judging from the video in this question: It is possible to create a Mirror Maze using Scene Capture 2d? - UE4 AnswerHub
But I haven’t been able to replicate that behavior.